• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What not to do?

Hello all,
I'm looking into getting my first T soon. I've done a lot of reading on how to put together an enclosure. I was wondering if anyone had some stories or learning experiences of things to NOT to do with your enclosure. Mistakes I can avoid?
Thanks!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
You are in the right place!
Look up the "enclosures" threads on the forum and you will find an extensive list, with pictures of what to do and not to do. As your enclosure will depends on the type of T and its age/size, there isn't really a one fits them all kind of enclosure. If you take the time to go through all the enclosures threads you'll have a much better idea.
Break a leg ;)

Hi,
You are in the right place!
Look up the "enclosures" threads on the forum and you will find an extensive list, with pictures of what to do and not to do. As your enclosure will depends on the type of T and its age/size, there isn't really a one fits them all kind of enclosure. If you take the time to go through all the enclosures threads you'll have a much better idea.
Break a leg ;)
Thank you! I've been scrolling through. I just want to get as much wisdom from more experienced keepers as I can. I'm kinda nervous since this will be my first T.

The biggest general not to do piece of advice that I can think of with enclosures is just making sure that there are no gaps or ventilation holes large enough for your spider to squeeze out of. Anything about the size of their carapace and larger is an escape risk, I have a couple of those Zilla enclosures for example that have a gap at the door that a small spiderling could get out of, so I have to be cautious to make sure what I put into it is larger than those spaces. :)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is an old saying that I have adapted to the keeping of tarantulas, especially fast moving ones.

Keep you eye on the tarantula or get the tarantula in your eye.

Also make sure your enclosure is suited for your particular type of tarantula: tall for arboreal, shorter with burrowing space for terrestrials and deep substrate for fossorial (burrowers).

There is an old saying that I have adapted to the keeping of tarantulas, especially fast moving ones.

Keep you eye on the tarantula or get the tarantula in your eye.

Also make sure your enclosure is suited for your particular type of tarantula: tall for arboreal, shorter with burrowing space for terrestrials and deep substrate for fossorial (burrowers).
That is a very good saying that I will take to heart.

Egon

3 Year Member
One thing I’ve noticed is that enclosures made specifically for tarantulas are much, much better at retaining the proper moisture level.

I have two slings in tarantula-specific enclosures and one in a deli cup enclosure I made. The deli cup dries out very quickly (a few days) while I rarely have to spritz the other ones. I need to make a new deli cup enclosure with fewer holes.

I have a grown tarantula in a Tarantula Crib enclosure and the soil below the surface has a nice moisture level and the water bowl takes a long time to evaporate even a little bit. I have another in a typical Kritter Keeper and the soil gets really dry and the water bowl evaporates really quickly.

Good to know. I've been looking at different enclosures, but since I'm not sure of the size I'll be able to find I haven't gotten anything yet. I will probably get something simple, then move it to a specific enclosure when I get the T

shelbi8119

Any time the enclosure is open, always make sure your eyes are on your spood, even if it's in its borrow, hide, web tunnel, it may decide to make a surprise appearance right out of the enclosure lol. Don't buy a hygrometer, because then you will constantly obsess with the humidity in your enclosure. And if you're comfortable in a Tshirt, then they are comfortable. Don't let a pet store tell you that you need a heat mat or lamp as necessity for a tarantulas. The end result of using them on your enclosure can be fatal. If your living quarters stays cold try a space heater to keep the room warmer for the 8 legged fur babies.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
Good to know. I've been looking at different enclosures, but since I'm not sure of the size I'll be able to find I haven't gotten anything yet. I will probably get something simple, then move it to a specific enclosure when I get the T
Tarantula specific enclosures are very nice, they just tend to run a higher price. If you’re buying slings or juveniles, there’s nothing wrong with a DIY setup as long as you have ventilation, a hide, a water source, and the right type and amount of substrate. Chances are you’ll be moving them to other enclosures as they get bigger.

Tarantula specific enclosures are very nice, they just tend to run a higher price. If you’re buying slings or juveniles, there’s nothing wrong with a DIY setup as long as you have ventilation, a hide, a water source, and the right type and amount of substrate. Chances are you’ll be moving them to other enclosures as they get bigger.
I've noticed, at least on videos, folks have a bunch of options at hand. Since this will be my first T, I'll have to build up a stockpile from scratch!

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
I've noticed, at least on videos, folks have a bunch of options at hand. Since this will be my first T, I'll have to build up a stockpile from scratch!
I’ve been picking up the Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers from Walmart for a decent price. They’re very clear and come in different sizes. If you have a soldering iron, it’s fairly easy to pop some ventilation holes quickly and with minimal mess. If not, a small drill bit does a great job, it just requires more clean up. I have a few of the tall pasta containers that I use for arboreals. The multiple piece sets have a good selection of containers that work well for terrestrials. I’ve pulled the latches off of the lids because they create a jolt when snapping them in place that really disturbs the spiders. The rubber gasket still seals the lid pretty firmly. I also have two of the Better Homes bagel containers. They’re a pretty decent size and stack very solidly on top of each other. The lid is chunky and not clear, but works great for species that are photosensitive. A stroll down the container aisle will give you plenty of options with a little bit of creativity.

I’ve been picking up the Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers from Walmart for a decent price. They’re very clear and come in different sizes. If you have a soldering iron, it’s fairly easy to pop some ventilation holes quickly and with minimal mess. If not, a small drill bit does a great job, it just requires more clean up. I have a few of the tall pasta containers that I use for arboreals. The multiple piece sets have a good selection of containers that work well for terrestrials. I’ve pulled the latches off of the lids because they create a jolt when snapping them in place that really disturbs the spiders. The rubber gasket still seals the lid pretty firmly. I also have two of the Better Homes bagel containers. They’re a pretty decent size and stack very solidly on top of each other. The lid is chunky and not clear, but works great for species that are photosensitive. A stroll down the container aisle will give you plenty of options with a little bit of creativity.
Thanks! Great advice. I'll go strolling next time I'm over that way. My first thought was that I was only planning on getting one, but I already know its gonna be more than that.

InsectsGlorifyGod

I would add too to make sure the substrate isn't ever dripping with water. I have seen some Ts at Reptile Shows in standing water. It makes me sad for the T. It's quite clear that the vendor doesn't know what they are doing...

Obviously with slings, they need a little bit more moisture to keep from drying out but not too much. Have a corner, logically under the water dish, get a little damper once a week or so but let the rest of the substrate wick out the moisture into gradients across its space.

You can get a great start here: https://tomsbigspiders.com/beginner-guides/

Latest posts