• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what does sub adult mean?

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Hi all,

So I have had my first T for almost a week and she is doing really well.

She seems to have been happy with her faunarium from day one apart from her hide which I have since changed.

Anyway.....

My question is what does sub adult mean? I have searched and searched and I can't find an answer.

She seems quite small compared to other chile rose I have seen.

If anyone knows please share :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sub adult just means that the tarantula hasn't reached maturity yet.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Thanks!

It's a she the temp is around 75-78F room temp, humidity is between 60-70%

I've had her a week and she's had 3 crickets.

So I guess the more I feed her will pay a big part.

I was planning on feeding her every 8-10 days is that okay?

I asked the spider shop how often she was fed and they said they fed her every 10 days.

Another question is do they always leave carcasess as she's had 3 crickets and I've tried to see if there's anything left to pick out but I don't see anything.

Thanks guys

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Thanks!

I asked the spider shop how often she was fed and they said they fed her every 10 days.

Another question is do they always leave carcasess as she's had 3 crickets and I've tried to see if there's anything left to pick out but I don't see anything.

Thanks guys
The temp/ humidity are good for this species. 3 crickets in a week is plenty @ 1/4" size prey.
From my understanding, your description, is you may have a juvenile. Normally tarantulas fit in one of 3 categories: spiderling ('sling), juvenile and adult. Example: G. rosea grown adult 6". From EWL to 2", its a spiderling. 2"-4" its a juvenile. From 4"-6" its an adult. Mind you, this is rule of thumb. Males grow and mature quicker than females, nature's way to prevent inbreeding. Now, once in adult stage, most keepers consider "mature" as being capable of producing offspring.
Do you plan on breeding? I ask because you seem to be in a rush for it to become an adult. This is a long living species, 25+ years is not uncommon.
In regards to finding boluses. Small prey items leave small remains, sometimes difficult to see/find. My advice is, "if it looks odd remove it from the enclosure". Not removing may cause unwelcome pests and/or molds, neither benefits your tarantula.
These are my thoughts, others may agree/disagree, you decide if my info is useful.

Forgot. Yes, a 10 day feeding schedule is fine for this species. One of the most overfed species, IMO, as long as the abdomen is as large or slightly larger than its carapace its fine. Constant overfeeding can trigger a fasting lasting months even a year or longer.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks!

Thanks guys

I go by abdomen size I don't have a set schedule for when I feed mine.

Don't worry about humidity. People fret over it way too much, and it's really only important for a handful of species such as Ephebopus and Theraphosa.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Wow thank you for all the information.

Therasoid...... no I am not planning on breeding, I was just curious as to what size she will be as the Spider Shop told me it was a sub adult to me that meant juvie as not an adult yet. I just wanted to be clear on what that meant as she was smaller than I expected.

Thank you for your helpful information, I'm going to see if I can see anything left over as I really couldn't see anything in there. Don't want it to go mouldy or harm my little Tito.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
I go by abdomen size I don't have a set schedule for when I feed mine.

Don't worry about humidity. People fret over it way too much, and it's really only important for a handful of species such as Ephebopus and Theraphosa.

Thanks, I just don't want to overfeed her, I waited a few days for her to settle in and when I offered her a cricket she didn't waste much time so I gave her two more.

That was Friday so I'll wait a few more days.

:)