• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are signs that a tarantula doesn't have enough humidity?

WiseWarrior

3 Year Member
My G. rosea, Yoshi, who I've had for nearly eight years, has always been near her water dish. When I first got her she started burrowing under her water dish. I had to make supports for her water dish, otherwise it would have collapsed on her because it was so heavy. She's normally been in her burrow, which has her water dish on top, or right outside the burrow; still near the water dish. I recently moved the water dish on the ground so she could get to it easier. The first day I did this she still sat under her burrow. The last week since then she's been on the opposite side of her cage, where the water dish is. She moves around some, but is mostly near it.

Aren't the signs of too low humidity that a T starts moving slowly? Or are there other signs? Yoshi has never been sluggish except before a molt. All her molts have gone fine, she's eating fine, and besides being near her water dish all the time, doesn't seem negatively effected. Is everything fine, or is this cause for concern? Thanks!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, if you had mentioned any other specie other than a Rosie...

Rosies are psycho. Mine seems to worship her water dish. Mind you, after she's dumped it and moved it to a dry spot. She hates it when I am refilling the dish and I accidentally dump a bit on the substrate.

As long as her abdomen is round and plump I wouldn't worry. Just make sure she has water at all times and that should work for this specie.

WiseWarrior

3 Year Member
Yeah, her abdomen isn't shriveled at all; it's a good size. The water dish is very large, so it holds a lot of water. I remember when I needed to clean the water dish because it was grimy, and I would remove it with Yoshi nearby, she'd stick out a leg and try to protect it. She would do that almost every time xD. Anyway, I got a B. albo six feet away, who's never near her water dish, so you're right; it's probably just the quirks of being a Rosie.

WiseWarrior

3 Year Member
I definitely love her. She's always been really sweet, and hasn't bitten me once in eight years. I think she flicked hairs once during this time, and that was at the very beginning. (I was only 12) Since Rosies aren't the most exciting tarantulas, it's their special quirks that make them so special. :)

Latest posts