• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Went to buy crickets...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Came home with 2 T's!! :D Caden got a 3.5" Rosie (which he's named Noelle or Noah depending on sex):

004.JPG

And I got a little OBT sling (approx 1.5")! So far I've only got a picture of the deli (which is opaque boo!), but you can see some of it's webbing (super awesome!) and a teeny bit of orange lol:
007.JPG

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So....I got to meet my OBT up close and personal tonight LOL. I was sitting on the floor of my room, breaking up some coco fibre that I had soaking, and had the OBT's deli cup sitting by me so I could watch it while I worked. My son was sitting in my desk chair watching cartoons, and he leaned back in the chair and it tipped over. Guess what it lands on? Yup! Lands right on the little gal's deli cup and cracks it wide open (and the larger deli cup I was planning to move it into was also destroyed)! After a moment(or three) of panic, I grabbed a plastic bag and put the deli inside and tied it up, ran downstairs and grabbed our other old 10 gallon and made for the bathroom.

I put the cracked deli and the rosie's deli (which is the only other enclosure I had on hand) inside the 10 gallon tank, which was inside the bathtub....and oh boy, it was rough trying to get that little girl to come out from her web (crazy how much she webbed that little container). Finally prodded her out and she ran oh so quickly across the 10 gallon and finally stopped right in the corner (where I decided to take pics while I had the chance lol). Tried prodding her a bit the other direction towards the new deli, and she ran up instead....I managed to get her back down, let her calm down for a min (and tried to calm my pulse lol), then nudged her again and she went right into the deli. She was not very defensive at all, but boy can she run haha. Total elapsed time approx. 90mins lol.

She's safe and sound now, no worse for the wear. Only thing that sucks, is that I didn't have anything small enough to give her for a hide in that deli...so looks like I'll have to do another rehouse sooner than I wanted to. The good part, is I know what she's capable of, and what to expect...combined with more controlled circumstances, I think I'll do just fine. I might just have to name her Chaos lol.

010.JPG

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's definitely not on a diet LOL. Oh, I am most definitely enamoured!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it's safe to say that anything that gets my pulse rate going like that will always hold a special place in my heart lol. I got to see a couple of old sheds too, which was way cool! Really glad she's in a clean deli now though...the one she was in stunk to high heaven ugh! My room still smells :(.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The owner and the other guy that was working at the reptile shop I went to is scared to death of the spiders. The girl that was working there was at least somewhat knowledgeable and wasn't freaked out at all. They had quite a few large spiders in those same size deli's as the Rosie was in...feel so bad for them all squished in there. Pretty sad that it's still better than most of the other shops around here.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Can't believe I missed this! Congrats, Bast! Love the shy little rosie and your Obt has a very wild look about it, I love it! I hope she moults soon, that butt is going to explode :D.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I couldn't believe the size of her butt, It looks like she's got a grape attached to her carapace lol. Noelle is so fun to watch, she's decided she likes to roll her water dish around the cage...almost looks like she cuddles it.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I couldn't believe the size of her butt, It looks like she's got a grape attached to her carapace lol. Noelle is so fun to watch, she's decided she likes to roll her water dish around the cage...almost looks like she cuddles it.
I can't believe some people think rosies are boring. Noelle sounds very sweet and funny. Did you call the obt chaos or not decided yet. How is Karina dealing with the rivalry for mums love ?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a really good deal on the new babies (I think because the owner is afraid of them lol). Posted prices were $30 for the Rosie and $50 for the OBT...ended up getting both for $50 :D

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't believe some people think rosies are boring. Noelle sounds very sweet and funny. Did you call the obt chaos or not decided yet. How is Karina dealing with the rivalry for mums love ?
Still undecided on the little OBT (Maybe Sir Mixalott for that butt lmao). I do like Chaos, but it wasn't really her that caused the commotion and she was surprisingly not defensive at all (not even one threat posture even with all my poking and prodding)...she just wanted to stay hidden in her little tunnel system. She's moved around a bit too, but the enclosure she's in currently isn't ideal (no hide, and the substrate is a pretty damp still too), I'm hoping to find a much better enclosure while we're out shopping tomorrow...not that I'm looking foward to another rehousing, since this time she really has no where to hide lol.

Caden chose the name(s) for the Rosie (he's got really good taste in names) and he just adores her. Woke me up this morning so I could come look at her, because he was so excited that she was rolling the bottle cap around lol. She's super cool to watch, and I can hardly wait to get her into a bigger space (just waiting on sub to dry out) and give her a proper set up as well.

Karina was showing off a bit I think, she was so active last night even with the light on. She barely ever moves when you're watching, but she was walking around all over the place. I have a cricket in there, so she may have been hunting, but it was really cool to watch her stroll around...I love her so much! I'd love if she would moult...and I'm wondering if I should be feeding her more...her butt is nowhere near the size of Noelles and definitely not in the same league as the Obt lmao.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a really good deal on the new babies (I think because the owner is afraid of them lol). Posted prices were $30 for the Rosie and $50 for the OBT...ended up getting both for $50 :D
Well done, you deserve some nice babies. I still think you need a little smithi as well tho :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well done, you deserve some nice babies. I still think you need a little smithi as well tho :)
I think we're going to save up our money for the next reptile show, I'm sure there will be some smithi's there...and some of the Avics on my wish list. Do some shopping (bargain hunting) for enclosures and decorations...and also going to hunt for a china hutch or some shelving for my wall (leaning towards the hutch, since my kitties seem to be enamoured with the new arrivals ha!). That way I'll be prepared for all the babies I'm sure I'll end up coming home with :D

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still undecided on the little OBT (Maybe Sir Mixalott for that butt lmao). I do like Chaos, but it wasn't really her that caused the commotion and she was surprisingly not defensive at all (not even one threat posture even with all my poking and prodding)...she just wanted to stay hidden in her little tunnel system. She's moved around a bit too, but the enclosure she's in currently isn't ideal (no hide, and the substrate is a pretty damp still too), I'm hoping to find a much better enclosure while we're out shopping tomorrow...not that I'm looking foward to another rehousing, since this time she really has no where to hide lol.

Caden chose the name(s) for the Rosie (he's got really good taste in names) and he just adores her. Woke me up this morning so I could come look at her, because he was so excited that she was rolling the bottle cap around lol. She's super cool to watch, and I can hardly wait to get her into a bigger space (just waiting on sub to dry out) and give her a proper set up as well.

Karina was showing off a bit I think, she was so active last night even with the light on. She barely ever moves when you're watching, but she was walking around all over the place. I have a cricket in there, so she may have been hunting, but it was really cool to watch her stroll around...I love her so much! I'd love if she would moult...and I'm wondering if I should be feeding her more...her butt is nowhere near the size of Noelles and definitely not in the same league as the Obt lmao.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm on phone not laptop it does its own thing I was going to reply and someone called I forgot what I was on about now, doh