• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water bowls

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
What type of water bowls do you use? I had bought petshop reptile bowls a long time ago but they'd start to leak. I then used very shallow dishes from target that are dishwasher safe made for humans, then they'd leak after a while too. So I am using shallow ceramic things that go under a pot for plants. (Wow I can't think terminology right now)

And one of them won't hold water now! Is there anything that won't leak a year later?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
all of mine are slings and juvie T's so i use bottle caps. the slings get the 2 litre coke or pepsi type bottle caps, juvies get gatorade bottle caps, or similar. I put colored beta fish gravel in the bottle caps to keep the prey from drowning.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
all of mine are slings and juvie T's so i use bottle caps. the slings get the 2 litre coke or pepsi type bottle caps, juvies get gatorade bottle caps, or similar. I put colored beta fish gravel in the bottle caps to keep the prey from drowning.
My slings get bottle caps too. For my larger ones I like to have bigger bowls, but they all end up leaking at some point.

Thank you all for suggestions! I will try some new ones.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
just a silly suggestion, the small souffle dishes work, (ramekins) can usually find them dirt cheap at flea markets yard(tag) sales etc.
ANYTHING that holds water works, I have and am using some peanut butter lids from the large jars of PB. bout an inch deep.
Long as its food safe its a win win.
check these amazing sale at the moment
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-6-Ounce-Custard-Cups/dp/B000LNS2HE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1457807876&sr=1-1&keywords=small glass bowl
Great idea! The kids go thru peanut butter like crazy. I can have a new bowl soon!

melamii

3 Year Member
I use bottle caps for the bigger slings, and then the clay flower pot saucers for my reptiles and bigger tarantulas. They can't be knocked over, and I can get them in the dollar stores.

Attachments

• IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 9

tuko

3 Year Member
Funny you brought up the leaking issue. I have used ceramic shallow water bowls and i thought they were leaking at one point. I changed the location of the bowls and all of a sudden the water lasted much longer. Out of curiosity i set up a camera and record what was going on when im not looking at my enclosures, low and behold my darn G. pulchra and H. himalayana were actually the culprit digging inside the bowl. haha.

(I sometimes slightly wet the spot were the old bowls were previously were at, it maybe what they wanted or maybe not. A little mist didnt hurt)

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Funny you brought up the leaking issue. I have used ceramic shallow water bowls and i thought they were leaking at one point. I changed the location of the bowls and all of a sudden the water lasted much longer. Out of curiosity i set up a camera and record what was going on when im not looking at my enclosures, low and behold my darn G. pulchra and H. himalayana were actually the culprit digging inside the bowl. haha.

(I sometimes slightly wet the spot were the old bowls were previously were at, it maybe what they wanted or maybe not. A little mist didnt hurt)

Hmmm. When I change out the bowls it doesn't happen. And it only starts to happen about a year after I've had the bowl. That would be neat to set up a camera overnight!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gatorade or Powerade bottle caps are perfect for slings up to 2-3". i run the school snackbar so I have a near endless supply of them. The large Pace Picate Sauce bottles have perfect lids for juveniles, and Jiffy peanut butter jars have perfect lids for adults.

Latest posts