• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Using Soil From Outside?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I became convinced long ago that they're responsible for many of the strange afflictions that kill tarantulas, as well as eating molting t's. They're dirty, stinky, noisy, and short lived. Like gangbangers. They're the thugs of feeder insects..and I'm pretty sure God hates them. Just sayin.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Indeed crickets have problems, but they are useful like canaries in the coal mine if you're going to put something that might be sketchy into your spider's enclosure.

Of course, if you have a Lasiodora or a Pamphobeteus species, crickets are no match for them.

Think of it as trash meeting the garbage disposal. I think it's hilarious to make these 2 work for their food and go hell bent for leather around the cage catching them.

My Pamphobeteus will literally grab crickets and slam them at full speed into the wall before dispatching them. I tried leaning my cell phone against the glass to catch it and when she hit, the phone was knocked off the shelf.

I was lucky enough to catch it before it hit the floor.

Tossing a few of them to the T stirmi is also highly amusing. That's sort of like what happens if you fall into a black hole.

Of course, that's true for anything you feed to a T stirmi.

My pokies also strongly prefer them.

DreadedNeith

Lots to consider when talking about using soil. Now i see why thjs has been a debate in the hobby for so long. Im guessing Ts are much more resilient than we think they are but they are our pets and most of us care for them like a member of our own family so the risk wouldnt be worth it. I will probably not be using any soil from outside or from the store. In the future if i find a really nice stump or log in the forest, i might take it home and do my best to steralize it and then put it in with my crickets for a month to see what happends. Im not so worried about the money when it comes to my T dying. I really love her and just dont want anything to happen to her. I want her to be as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks for all of the input. Its given me quite a lot to think about. The coco fiber is working just fine and ive had no issues with mold either so i guess I'll stick to that. I may go and buy some verm and moss to experiment with but not soil. Thanks again.

Latest posts