• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urticating hairs

est4life

3 Year Member
so I have a 4 year old chilean rose female. Have had her for about a month or so now. Loves being handled and coming out. Until recently. Since Saturday she has decided out of no where to just kick out her urticating hairs randomly. She will be walking on my hands and be doing it for a bit then bang just stops mid step lets some hairs out and right back to walking. This is now the second time this has happened. Any ideas/suggestions

bestco

3 Year Member
I suggest you stop handling your t it stresses them out, that's why she's flicking hairs, like Matthew says no t loves being handled

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Urticating hairs are a defnse mechanism, be it active like fending off a predator, or passive like linning the burrow entrance.to prevent intruders. When urts fail the next action is either run for cover or bite. if you are going to handle, just be prepared. You dont want to have a panicked reaction to a bite and fling her across the room.

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
I wouldn't pick up ANY of my hair-kickers! You're brave. I hate the burn of urticating hairs. I've felt my t.stirmi's so far, that felt like fiberglass burn, and one of my l.parahybana's, and THAT felt like I put a torch to my skin.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As has been said none of them "Love" being handled. The hair-kicking is a defense mechanism. Most (but not all) NW species tend to be less defensive and have a less up front way of telling potential predators (like you) to get lost.

Latest posts