• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urticating hairs..

Derbarbarian

Hey guys,

Per the title, I got a bit complacent with my T-Stirmi, I was trying to pull her water bowl out so I could give it a good cleaning and refill it and she started kicking hairs like mad, so I decided to wait it out for a bit to allow any of the hairs she kicked to settle before pulling the water bowl out. I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough as my hands and wrists are now covered in varying sizes of smallish skin tone bumps that itch like absolutely crazy, there isn't any corresponding redness they're just small skin tone bumps, much like what you see with poison ivy just without the redness/general inflammation. Anyways I was going to ask is there a good way to treat these? Or is it just a waiting game at this point? I wasn't sure if soaking them in warm water for a bit and applying some cortisone would help. She's done the same thing in the past and I've usually just waited 20-30 minutes and I didn't have a problem, so I would definitely say I've learned my lesson at this point. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated.

tarantulas118

Yeah T Stirmis are well known to have the absolute worst hairs out of all tarantulas I have one too but it never kicked hairs but when I touch the substrate I could definitely feel them I know one way to take em out is too apply duct tape to the area where it kicked and just try ripping them out that why. Try it a few times and then try soaking your hands in warm soapy water but that’s about all you can do from what I’ve heard

Derbarbarian

Yeah T Stirmis are well known to have the absolute worst hairs out of all tarantulas I have one too but it never kicked hairs but when I touch the substrate I could definitely feel them I know one way to take em out is too apply duct tape to the area where it kicked and just try ripping them out that why. Try it a few times and then try soaking your hands in warm soapy water but that’s about all you can do from what I’ve heard
Thanks for the input man! I thought about trying the duct tape but I wasn't sure how well that would really work which is why I figured the warm water might be my best bet. Though I know there are a LOT of Stirmi owners on here so I figured someone might be able to suggest the best course of action! As far as her kicking hairs, she does it from time to time though she doesn't have that much hair left on her abdomen. As I mentioned, when she's done it in the past I usually just wait 20-30 minutes for the hairs to settle and it hasn't been an issue before. Though now that it's getting colder I have the heat on in my room nearly 24/7 so there's definitely more airflow in there which would explain why they're getting kicked up. Unfortunately I have really bad arthritis in both my hands and as a result my fingers are a bit deformed so I can't wear gloves, otherwise I'd definitely be sporting gloves anytime I have to do anything in her cage. I may just put plastic bags over my hands next time around to see if that's a viable option.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The use of long tongs can help avoid hair kicking, you can even pick up plastic water bowls with them.
You can also use Piriton (an anti-allergy tablet that contains chlorpheniramine maleate Ph.Eur. 4mg). Creams or tablets that contain anti-histamine to ease the itching.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The 99p per packet hayfever, antihistamines, are cupboard essentials here. I normally end up with a wrist/forearm irritation at some point during our weekly feeding evening. I do wash my hands, wrists & forearms really well following a good hairing. But nothing stops the irritation as effectively as a cheap 24 hour hayfever tablet.

StacyRoe75

3 Year Member
I've found that wax strips help alot with the hair's that hit my neck. My hands, not so much. I usually just wait it out. I rehoused a bunch of hair kickers a couple of weeks ago and my sister asked me what happened to my neck

SullivanC

What I would do is wash both of my arms and hands with mild soap and not touch the areas that are itchy even if I feel like touching it because the more you touch more it has a chance to go under your skin further, itchiness wont go away right away obviously but if you give it time your hands and arms will feel better again :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What I would do is wash both of my arms and hands with mild soap and not touch the areas that are itchy even if I feel like touching it because the more you touch more it has a chance to go under your skin further, itchiness wont go away right away obviously but if you give it time your hands and arms will feel better again :)

I find that can work in the short term, but do not use warm water & with T's like the blondi, stirmi etc, washing only gives short term relief. Personally, I find that the following morning is the worst. Your arm gets warm in bed, so you then wake up with a very red, well scratched & rather strong irritation.

SullivanC

I find that can work in the short term, but do not use warm water & with T's like the blondi, stirmi etc, washing only gives short term relief. Personally, I find that the following morning is the worst. Your arm gets warm in bed, so you then wake up with a very red, well scratched & rather strong irritation.
Yeah there is not much options you have but wait for itchiness to go away, you can also try putting vaseline on the area where you have hair that can give some relief too but when you get itchiness worst mistake is touching that area because the more you touch more deeper hairs will go under your skin

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Also in the future maybe try gloves. Most times I use them with my new worlds, but mine tend to be milder kickers if at all. I don’t have your species.

Latest posts