• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update on P. parvula :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I fed my P. parvula, Lady Vivien (her name was Arwen but with a little prompting from my mom and sister I renamed her for a sorceress from the King Arthur series since it suits her attitude better) today for the first time since I got her a week ago. It was the main event of my day so I wanted to share! Sorry I don't have any pics (I did try but they came out awful). :(

My other T, Lulu, is a very slow, methodical eater and takes only a few crickets a month, so I was not prepared for Vivien's feeding frenzy today! I put in six crickets and within seconds she pounced on the nearest one and started devouring it. As if that wasn't exciting enough (I about jumped out of my skin), she then proceeded to grab two more, and more, and more...! I think at one point she had three or four crickets in a ball, just working her fangs over them. One cricket got away the first time she grabbed him but he met his end a short while later. :p

I decided to add three more crickets to her cage, normally I would have put in two more (to equal a total of eight) but she dropped one and I didn't think she was going to go for it...but she did! So my gluttonous T demolished a grand total of nine crickets! She left me two or three nice food boluses to clean up. :)

So that was one major highlight of my day. First time I've seen such ravenous eating habits in a T. I'm hoping with a full stomach Vivien might calm down enough to let me handle her, she is very high-strung and speedy. Hopefully it was just because she wanted to eat!

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Wow, that is A LOT of crickets! Hungry girl! Have you had her for a long time? Is she WC? I ask because I see a good many wild caught ones at expo. They may be a bit more skittish for a while (maybe).

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I haven't had her long, just a week. She is captive-bred. I was told that she is sweet but so far she's not living up to it!:p

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like she enjoyed her big feast. It probably was fun to watch if you are more used to b smithi, mine are so lazy the crickets more or less stumble onto there fangs before they bother eating, sometimes I think they are just annoyed that the cricket has woke them up.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
My B. smithi is pretty much the same way. I love a good feeding frenzy! I used to keep scorpions and they were always very voracious eaters. So yes, watching Vivien eat was fun! :)

Latest posts