• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

under tank heater not warm enough

etta

3 Year Member
I'm trying to use an under tank heater to keep my T's enclosure at the right temp, but it doesn't seem to be getting warm enough. Is there any way I can fix this or would some other type of heater be needed?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Agree with spidey noob on the placement.
Does this species need the additional heat for proper care? Most of the species in the hobby today are OK with temps in the 70-75 degree range. I, personally have a few species that do require 80-85 degree temps. An old bookshelf with a modified acrylic front and "flex a watt" heat strips controlled with a t'stat work well for me.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Or u could heat the room they are in with a thermostat controlled space heater. I do that with an electric oil filled radiator with a digital thermostat. It is pretty energy efficient an safer than heating pads and the like. In my opinion...but opinions are like farts...ur own smells good but everyone else's stink. lol

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Yeah, I would ditch the heat mat. My T's room gets pretty cool in the winter and they do just fine. Like someone else said, if you are really concerned, get a space heater. Heat mats are dangerous, and tarantulas can and have burnt themselves on them.

And if you do decide to keep the heat mat, get a thermostat. No one should run heat mats for any creature without a thermostat, they get dangerously hot and can malfunction. Get a temp gun to know exact temps on the mat as well.