• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unbelievable!!

Venom2090

3 Year Member
What kind of bird is that? Did you maim it at all? I used to feed baby sparrows that tried to take over my bird house.

Cool video :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
It's a silver-billed finch. It looks like the tail has been plucked, so I bet the wings were clipped also. What's unbelievable about that? I completely believe that an owner would be a big enough asshole to feed a bird to a spider and that an opportunistic predator would eat it.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
It's a silver-billed finch. It looks like the tail has been plucked, so I bet the wings were clipped also. What's unbelievable about that? I completely believe that an owner would be a big enough asshole to feed a bird to a spider and that an opportunistic predator would eat it.
Whats so different about a bird then a mouse? I do believe this particular bird was too big tho.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've heard, the term bird eaters was labeled fraudulent by certain people. Therefore, proving that a spider can eat a bird satisfies some legal situations.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Alright, just never got why people who owned predatory animals could be so against vertabrate feeding.
I'm against unnecessary suffering. I don't eat meat. I own cats, and I make my own cat food using raw chicken. Cats need to eat meat. I don't. I own snakes. They get prekilled mice. Spiders need to eat, but there's no good reason to choose prey items that suffer more. Feeding a roach or crickets is safer for the spider, cleaner for the keeper and while it sucks for the roach, it sucks less than it would to feed a bird or a mouse.

From what I've heard, the term bird eaters was labeled fraudulent by certain people. Therefore, proving that a spider can eat a bird satisfies some legal situations.
Who is going to court over a misnomer? A tarantula will eat a bird given the opportunity. They don't primarily eat birds, though. One of the earliest images of a tarantula sent back to Europe was an illustration of an Avic scavenging a bird. I think that's the origin of the name.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True enough, but I'm not sure what happened that there were accusations of false advertising concerning whether they are even capable of eating birds.

Still, if you're going to do vertebrates, doing pinkie mice or newborn chicks is probably safer for the tarantula in question

Latest posts