• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To ship or not to ship??

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
What's the general attitude towards ordering pet tarantulas online and having them shipped to you? Should I try the Internet option if I cannot find a certain type of tarantula at local pet shops or breeders? And good tarantula websites, breeders and/or pet shops I should I be aware of: I live in the San Francisco/Bay Area of California. Thanks all for the MUCH needed info and advice!!

-J Ha

pennpets

3 Year Member
I have found, as a seller of Ts, that pretty much the only way for many people to get the Ts they are looking for is to order online. Any reputable seller will offer overnight delivery, and at least some form of LAG (Live Arrival Guarantee), will not ship during adverse weather -too hot or too cold. Until the delivery business (FedEx, USPS, etc) decides that shipping Ts should be "legalized" we will all be working under a handicap of sort in trying to further, and enjoy, our hobby. Good luck on finding the tarantula of your dreams.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Jamie's Taranutlas (jamiestarantulas.com) is where I got both my Ts from. For $17 you get a 72-hour guarantee on the T (1-3 day shipping). Both of mine arrived in excellent condition!

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
personally online dealer are better then pet shop. keep in mind not all online dealers are reputable so you have to do your research on them, but reputable online store will have huge selection, cheaper price (if you are buying in bulk purchases), and are captive bred healthy specimens. while pet store their is a high chance they are wild caught and usually are kept in bad conditions and thus could be sick or dying when you purchase them.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Buying on-line from breeders/dealers is definitely the way to go. As for method, that's one you have to research for yourself and choose what's best for you. Do not ship Ts postal, unless you want a world of trouble.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Buying on-line from breeders/dealers is definitely the way to go. As for method, that's one you have to research for yourself and choose what's best for you. Do not ship Ts postal, unless you want a world of trouble.

In my area, you can't knowingly ship Tarantulas via FedEx, UPS or Usps...

Atx13

3 Year Member
Yeah, every package i've received has been through usps... from some of the biggest dealers in the hobby :p.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Same here. You can't tell from the box what's really inside. ;)

While we're on the subject of shipping, can just anybody ship a T? I mean as far packaging it correctly so it will be safe during transit. My Ts both arrived in a small container with minimal ventilation, wrapped in wet paper toweling and packed in so they wouldn't bounce around and get hurt. Is this something anyone is capable of doing or is shipping something only experienced keepers should try?

Atx13

3 Year Member
If you copy the method of someone who was successfully shipped you Ts, you should be o.k.. i've sent several packages without issue, by simply copying(to my best of ability) what i had seen before.