• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To rehouse or not? That is the question...

Nurse Ratchet

New Avicularia 1.25 leg span purchased. Came home in her 4x6x5 cricket keeper. I threw in a cork bark with some leaves and substrate to get by. She was super flighty when I moved her out her pen to add stuff, but has webbed up the bottom corner just above the substrate and hangs out in there at all times. I purchased a 4x4x8 enclosure 4 days after I got her. Should I rehouse her in the vertical one, or leave her since she made a web home?

Attachments

• IMG_20211210_153454190.jpg
    IMG_20211210_153454190.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 34

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is she eating?
If she is getting ready to molt I wouldn't move her. If she just molted then it's a toss up.

Nurse Ratchet

Is she eating?
If she is getting ready to molt I wouldn't move her. If she just molted then it's a t

Is she eating?
If she is getting ready to molt I wouldn't move her. If she just molted then it's a toss up.
Not much appetite. One xs cricket since I got her last week. Tossed another xs in today. Hasn't gone for it yet. I'll fish it out bf bed.
I could leave her in the cricket pen till whenever she does molt to be safe if you think it's best. I just want her to be a happy healthy gal.

Nurse Ratchet

Not much appetite. One xs cricket since I got her last week. Tossed another xs in today. Hasn't gone for it yet. I'll fish it out bf bed.
I could leave her in the cricket pen till whenever she does molt to be safe if you think it's best. I just want her to be a happy healthy gal.
Umm.. she molted? Had to have. Took out the lil cricket since she wasn't interested, worked three nights and left her be. This evening went to check water and was going to offer food, but was surprised to find a larger spider by about a quarter inch. Where's the exoskeleton? It's a small enclosure, but no sign of it. I was hoping to look at a shed to see if I could tell if there was a flap. I'm baffled. For one, I didn't expect so much growth. Secondly, where is the molt??? Oh, and her and is now like a tiger; orange with black markings. Someone must have broken in and swapped T's!
Fangs are black, and she's more active now. Planning to offer food tomorrow and maybe settle her in the taller enclosure.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now rehouse her. Let her settle in and feed her in one week. Make sure the new enclosure has lots of cross ventilation. Congrats. Sometimes the exuvium is so trashed, it is hard to find, especially for little ones.

:beer:

Nurse Ratchet

Coloring sounds like P irminia... got pics?
They're all blurry since she's mostly in her web nook. To be honest, still haven't rehoused into the taller enclosure. When I bought her home and pulled out the paper towel she was on to add a little substrate, she bolted multiple times. I had my catch cup, but damn that's a fast little thing! Hoping to get some decent photos during/after rehouse. Will post if I'm successful.
Thanks for all the advice and input Octanejunkie. Can't begin to to tell how much I appreciate having y'all to talk to

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They're all blurry since she's mostly in her web nook. To be honest, still haven't rehoused into the taller enclosure. When I bought her home and pulled out the paper towel she was on to add a little substrate, she bolted multiple times. I had my catch cup, but damn that's a fast little thing! Hoping to get some decent photos during/after rehouse. Will post if I'm successful.
Thanks for all the advice and input Octanejunkie. Can't begin to to tell how much I appreciate having y'all to talk to
I shine a flashlight into the webbing from a side/angle to illuminate them to take a pic, otherwise they can be impossible to see.

C versicolor has a tiger pattern on its abdomen, avicularia does not. You said orange. You said bolty. None of this points to avicularia.

Does it look like this?
Screenshot_20211216-104956.png

Not my pic

Nurse Ratchet

Nope. Octane is right. It is an Avic avic. Morphotype 1 I think. I believe Arachnoclown was showing you two different Ybyrapora sps
I'll take y'all's word for it. I'm just a little over-enthralled by them and super excited to have three.. A few months ago I would run in terror of any arachnids, now I'm baby talking them and spending half my days off just watching them.

Latest posts