• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To disturb or not to disturb?

Miss310

3 Year Member
Hello all!
I have a b. albo sling that has closed off it's burrow and molted. It's been in it's closed burrow for 2 weeks since its molted. What should I do? Dig it up and try to feed? Leave it alone until it resurfaces? In the past i've dug it up and rehoused it. But I don't want to stress it out. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! When should I feed it? I've leave food in it's enclosure but it still stays burrowed.

If it's 2 weeks since the moult then you're ok to feed and the sling will grab it when it's ready. Remove uneaten food after 24 hours,.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Would it be ok to open its entrance if its closed off?

I'd leave it alone, it will open up when it's ready. My 3 rarely even had an opening to the surface but always knew when food was there and it would soon disappear. B. albos are great burrowers as slings and if you're lucky you will be able to watch them scuttling around down below. Once they've grown they will spend more and more time on the surface.

Brachypelma albopilosum

I'd leave it alone, it will open up when it's ready. My 3 rarely even had an opening to the surface but always knew when food was there and it would soon disappear. B. albos are great burrowers as slings and if you're lucky you will be able to watch them scuttling around down below. Once they've grown they will spend more and more time on the surface.
My acanthoscurria geniculata has done this too a week after I bought it. I don't know if it molted before that. What do I need to do

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Any of my slings that have burrowed away get fed as normal, if the food is still there after 24 hours it needs removing.

Nunua

3 Year Member
From my slings, B. albopilosum and S. angustum loved to stay in their burrows for long times. S. angustum created a little window from where I saw it, but B. albo was more secretive. As I didn't know if they were molted or not, I fed them by crushing the head (only the tiny crunchy part) of meal worm and just dropping it in. Meal worms still twitched and squirmed, but they were no able to burrow so I didn't need to worry about them to disappear.
I usually fed the burrowers in the evening to give them the most peaceful snacking time possible. If the worm was gone in the morning, slings were hungry - if not, I just took the prey off after 24 hrs. Simple as that. :)