• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This Hobby is Addicting

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
So............still being a newbie to keeping T's and previously being an extreme arachnophobe I now find myself buying my fourth one. I bought today a 1 in. T. vagans, one I said I wouldn't buy due to their unpredictable temperament. I read many hobbiest comments that this can be addicting and keep collecting. I now am a firm believer because I planned on only keeping my main 3, now I have 4 and a T. vagans on top of it, what the hell. I do not have room for a large collection but I need to control myself because there are a few more species I really want.

I rehoused the T. vagans into something more suitable and fed him a small cricket which he took after a little while which was awesome. That was my first time actually witnessing one of my T's taking a live insect. I love this little guy. My 3 in. T. albopilosum gets large superworms after I crush their heads as they got a strong bite. My 1/2 in. G. pulchra gets a little piece of cut up superworm which he loves, but that was once. He sealed his burrow up shortly after I bought him Feb. 16th. My super tiny Pseudhapalosa sp. blue has been most worrisome for me. I don't believe I have the experience needed to keep him alive but I'm doing my best. Making sure he has the correct moisture and temperatures. I've had him since 02/16/20 and he's still alive, so that's a plus. I scooped him up at the show without double checking his size.

My experience working with them is increasing. I really have lost most of my arachnophobia. The true test for me is when the lid is off and it's just me and the T, face to face metaphorically speaking. Of course my 3 in. Curly Q will not come out of his burrow but I watch him all the time as he is watching me through the plastic of his enclosure at the bottom. As fast as he is molting I strongly believe it's a male.

Anyways my apologies to everyone in this extremely long rant and if you got stuck reading it all, I do thank you though. I love this hobby but really have no one outside of the forums to truly share with. Most of my family and friends think I need counseling, that I lost my mind. I assure them I do not.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad you've joined the forum and look forward to reading your posts about your collection. Yes, I feel the same in that, other than immediate family, I don't really have anyone to share my love of the hobby with. That's why a forum can be great, and if the members are friendly and supportive, even better! Seems that everyone else I work with or know are highly arachnophobic! They tend to ask 3 questions :

1. Aren't you scared of them?
2. How many have you got?
3. Aren't you worried one will escape?

Always the same questions!

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I'm glad you've joined the forum and look forward to reading your posts about your collection. Yes, I feel the same in that, other than immediate family, I don't really have anyone to share my love of the hobby with. That's why a forum can be great, and if the members are friendly and supportive, even better! Seems that everyone else I work with or know are highly arachnophobic! They tend to ask 3 questions :

1. Aren't you scared of them?
2. How many have you got?
3. Aren't you worried one will escape?

Always the same questions!

LOL omg yes that's so true I get the same questions but also the bonus one like 'are you insane'?

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I really had no plans or intentions of getting a T. vagans, it just happened, lol. I went in to the store to get the smallest feeders for my smallest guy. Somehow I walked out with a cricket kritter keeper, crickets, it's all they had which I don't like feeding to my T's and a T. vagans.

I do say I'm glad I did because I really like him. The only one's I will not get at this point are old world's. I'm not experienced enough nor do I want to risk a bite.

E

ExMember

@BrokenRay

Congrats on the T vagans and welcome to the forum! You should post some pictures of your spiders! Would love to see a baby pulchra!

Doozer

3 Year Member
I think it's great that you are in the hobby. As far as I am concerned you are not very addicted yet. I have 25 and I have only been in the hobby for 7 months. I am going to be adding at least 5 more this month. If you want another way to share your new addiction, get on Instagram. You are already on the best forum. You can ask ANYTHING on here and these great people will answer.

Latest posts