• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Theraphosa blondi

ValentinLiteratus

3 Year Member
Hi, my name is Valentin and this is my Theraphosa blondi Tiny. I got him about a year ago. He is 7 inches in leg span. I have a question about him.

When I first got him he used to eat ferociously, chewing 3 or 4 large crickets at a time. But as time passed I hardly see him eat. The crickets disappear, but he never attacks them in daylight as before. I was thinking that when he was at a warehouse he wasn't fed much, and when he came to live with me he was compensating by eating a lot. Can someone suggest what might be going on? Thanks!!
Name's Tiny.JPG

newtots

3 Year Member
From what I've found through research tarantulas are mostly nocturnal hunters. Each also has a personality, I have some that eat regardless of time or whose watching, and I have others who refuse to eat at certain times or when someone is watching. I wouldn't worry about it if the crickets are disappearing.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you change the enclosure? Sometimes T's adapt to their enclosure. I had my T. blondi in a 5 gallon and she was out of her hide all the time. Ate voraciously. Transferred her to a 20 Long and added a nice cave. I now have a pet cave. She does come out at night to feed but you need to creep up with the flashlight and feed her quietly. She still eats voraciously! Just don't see her as much and the food has a lot more room to move about before she ultimately finds it.

Latest posts