• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The L Klugi that locked herself out of her house

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My T, Justina had walled off part of her skull where the jawbone is, thus blocking her biggest exit and entry door.

Now, she goes from one side of the cage to the other, apparently having forgotten how to go back inside.

I suspect she exited one of the smaller holes in the top and now it's too small for her to get back inside!!

Those were impressive threat displays from myself filling the water dish. Now that I realize what's wrong, I can dig it out and see if she'll use it again.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I picked up her hide and now it's fully open. Justina is currently standing tall right on top of it!!

I guess that means she's not too upset by it. I also had the opportunity to point the digital thermometer right at her. The body temperature was exactly 75.5 degrees. I'm going to take daily measurements to see if that's consistent.

She can be found anywhere from standing over the water dish to hanging out on the glass, basically anywhere.

I was thrilled earlier. She took an earthworm right off of the tongs after a small threat display. Only the first pair of legs were raised and she was on the glass. She also turned towards the tongs!!

First time ever!!

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Here's the latest video. She ignores stuff that previously sent her running for cover. Trying to get her to take shelter before opening the cage just annoys her.

I don't endorse handling but did gently touch the rear leg to show how calm she is.

From what I can see, the coloration is close to the adult form.

What a great spider!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well she trashed the cage again!! Dirt in the water bowl mounds of substrate etc.

I really think it's time to increase the cage size. At least the water dish can be placed out of the line of fire!!

I also have a bigger, but more ordinary looking hide then the skull. I'm probably going to take a suggestion from deadly tarantula girl's videos and use vermiculite. It should be cleaner.