• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terrarium with closed lid

bobertj

I have a glass terrarium that has a closed lid so there’s no mesh but it can be opened it’s not permanently sealed. It has live plants can I keep a small tarantula in it?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You do need some ventilation in a tarantula container, could you replace the glass lid with acrylic so you can drill ventilation holes?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It’s a large jar, so I don’t really see a way of securing the acrylic without making a permanent seal

I did a bit of searching and found this comment if it helps "some aquarium stores that manufacture their own tanks will drill holes in glass for you without charging much, some filters require holes in the side of the aquarium so they do it all the time. Holes can be drilled to fit the round vents found in kitchen cupboards etc."
I do know some on here have drilled vent holes in glass so that could be another option.

Latest posts