• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Winter Temps?

Garr2188

3 Year Member
Hey all, so I'm new to tarantula keeping and to the site lol. So I've been looking at info around tarantula keeping. I've heard some people don't provide an external heat source and just rely on room temperature. My house is generally not that cold. But since I live in the UK, it can get pretty cold sometimes. Should I provide a heat mat? I do keep dubia roaches at room temps and they do fine. Any advice?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most species will do fine at room temps if it is in the mid 70's F. I'm not a fan of heat mats myself but a lot of people are. I prefer to heat the room they are in with a small oil filled heater and keep my tarantulas at 74 degrees F.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Entity summed it up pretty well. From my experience, here in Ohio it can get really cold at times, even below zero, yet the room where my tarantulas are it stays in the 70s which is perfect, I'm going on 4-5 years in the hobby and there have been no issues.

If you need another source of heating, space heaters are a safe, yet cost effective way to provide heat.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just keep all my critters at 80 degrees. They are lively, eat well and they stay more visible.

Of course, you don't have to do that. Mainly I just want to get those slings and the scorpling to a more resilient juvenile or adult stage.

Calico

3 Year Member
It depends on the species of spider. What happens in its native habitat? I'd go by that. Research the weather in the point of origin.

I have an A.Chalcodes that was wild caught from the desert here. In the winter months temps range from 30 F at night to 70 F during the day. I know this because we do a lot of desert camping in the winter months and it gets cold!! I do not do heat well (I'm older ;)) so my house is about 65-70 F during the winter. Seeing that I haven't seen Cal for a few weeks, I'm wondering if it is because he is cold. I don't want to use a space heater for safety reasons. Could I use a heating pad set on low and put under one side of his enclosure? I'd love to be able to see him. Right now all I have is a tank with soil in it!

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
I am in Scotland and keep a lot of species from all over the globe. It gets sub zero here often and I will stick an oil heater on with my radiator too. This keeps the temps between 25c and 28c which is necessary for breeding purposes on some species.

However if you arent breeding then room temps of 18-23c should be fine.

Latest posts