• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Not eating

shatteredpast7

I know that az blondes are notorious for hunger strikes, but how do you know when they are ready to eat again?
My az blonde has gone a month without food now and I am just keeping her water dish filled and watching her web her home little by little. I have tried to give her a cricket here and there but she just gives me threat posture or prepares to kick hairs. She is very docile and friendly but of course is defensive if a cricket comes into their home. How do I know if or when she is hungry?

shatteredpast7

I know that az blondes are notorious for hunger strikes, but how do you know when they are ready to eat again?
My az blonde has gone a month without food now and I am just keeping her water dish filled and watching her web her home little by little. I have tried to give her a cricket here and there but she just gives me threat posture or prepares to kick hairs. She is very docile and friendly but of course is defensive if a cricket comes into their home. How do I know if or when she is hungry? For the most part I just leave her alone and observe her building skills

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I assume you are leaving the food in overnight? I have several T's that eat well, but who show no sign of wanting food when it is offered. My wife also has an adult pokie who is terrified of any cricket that is too large, so we feed her a few smaller crickets which she happily eats over a day or two.