• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tarantula experience

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I was setting here thinking about my experience and chuckled at the HUGE difference in the tarantula I used to own and the two I own now.. I used to have a g rosea who was calm and could be held until her 2nd molt... and the next tarantula I get is dramatically different.. I went from a beginner hardy terrestrial t who was very slow and could be held to two advanced skill level arboreals who I will never handle for obvious reasons and shockingly fast speeds.. like literally who thought a spider could move as fast as the p regalis?? lol but yeah the differences between my first t and now made me chuckle but I LOVE the poecilotheria genus and couldn't be happier :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At least you went the accepted way from calm to higher level, I went the opposite way. My first 2 Ts were an OBT and a P. metallica then I started buying the calmer ones :)

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I can't imagine my first ever tarantula to be an obt lol.. you would thinks all t's have serious anger issues and need anger management classes lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't imagine my first ever tarantula to be an obt lol.. you would thinks all t's have serious anger issues and need anger management classes lol

Well neither the OBT or the P. met have ever given me a threat pose or caused any problems in fact I've seen more from some of the supposed docile species.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my first was Redrum, my female B. vagans, got her December 2015 at 1/4" dls and i'm guessing she's about 4" now. Used to handle her but now she big enough i'm not comfy doing so in a way to keep her safe. We've handled every one of our T's except Savage, the genic (his name fits him so well) and my sons P. vittata Houdini.

Only 2 have given us issues with handling, techincally 3 but i think the B. albo that my son thought was going to bite him was using his fangs to hold on. The other 2 were my B. albiceps, Thug, who slapped him and then tried to bite him, but missed as my son was moving his hand away from the slap. Then the other night my son's G. rosea, Buddha, was sitting on his palm and then just decided to throw a threat pose and bare his fangs. Guess that's a good way to see when they're tired of being held huh? ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I rehoused my Ld, the one that threat posed every time I opened her enclosure. Time will tell if it changes her attitude. I don't mind her being feisty, but I want to see if it works. The rehousing was rather amusing, I wish I had gotten it on video. I like spiders with character, as well as the gentle ones.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
A B albiceps slapping and biting? It must have been a male as every female albiceps I have ever seen has to be the most docile T ever! Males are much more nervous and feisty.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A B albiceps slapping and biting? It must have been a male as every female albiceps I have ever seen has to be the most docile T ever! Males are much more nervous and feisty.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
too small to sex yet ;) i'm hoping once it gives me it's molt (molted last thursday) i can sex it.

Latest posts