• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula behavior question

adz07

3 Year Member
She will he fine doing what you said chilling, my g.rosea does much the same just sits and chills

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup, mine will do the same thing. She will often sit in a corner for day only to move to another corner and sit again. The life of a rosie is mostly a sedentary one. :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had mine for going on 18 years, and it's a bit of an event in my house when she actually moves around. I love her to death, but not the most active lass. :)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Mine has never used its hide she is always out in the open. Sometimes uses water dish. She is always ready to eat and is about only time I see her move :)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
pic of mine not using the Hide as usual
IMAG0351.jpg

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
When I think of my Rosea, I always think of her as my busy "lil girl"...In fact, in posts past, I have described her in just that way...She's my first and definately one of my keepers...The worst is the Giant Columbian Red Leg...I'd sell her in a second...She doesn't even come out at night...Boring!!!

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
When I think of my Rosea, I always think of her as my busy "lil girl"...In fact, in posts past, I have described her in just that way...She's my first and definately one of my keepers...The worst is the Giant Columbian Red Leg...I'd sell her in a second...She doesn't even come out at night...Boring!!!

How much? Sex? Age etc

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Can little tap webbing in front of hide to get her attention then tweezer feed her at entrance. something really long nd thin is good to tap the webbing to make them think prey is near. T vision is terrible so just dumping into tank really reduces the chance the T ever finds the prey especially if it is living in hide most the time.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
I have found when i move my OBT's it usually takes about 3-4 days before they go into setting up house mode. and grab everything they can around them to build the fort.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Has she eaten before? They detect prey by sensing vibrations, so she will find the cricket if you put it in. Many of my Ts are nocturnal, so I can feed them right before bed, then check in the morning to see if it's gone. The nice thing about crickets is that they usually run around the enclosure, giving the T able opportunities to sense and snap them up. :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only had my G. Rosea for about a month and the only time she's been in her hide was to dig it out on the 2nd day. Since then she's been wandering around her faunarium webbing a nice carpet and a little thin wallpaper, too, lol. She's quite brash, too, and tends to walk over to disturbances (like me trying to get cricket left overs out or refilling the water dish) rather than to run away. Twice she's gone into this cute threat pose. I like it that way, and like you I trusted the shop owner when he promised me that this one was not your typical "pet rock" (one of the reasons I actually didn't want a Rose at first), but an active interesting individual.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry, 2G33K4U...my reply was to the OP. :)

Fuzzball79, ounds like you have a Rosie with some personality! :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shes ate 1 cricket about a week and a half ago, I put a cricket in last night and woke up to find it gone and T out of her hide so i'm guessing she ate it lol

Awesome! Ts have horrible eyesight, but their ability to sense the vibrations of the prey more than makes up for it. I have several that hunt in the dark. Although I'll drop a cricket and and watch some of mine feed because, I'll admit it, it's kind of exciting, most I drop in at night and check on in the morning. If they're hungry, they'll find it. :)

So glad your little guy ate! :)

Latest posts