• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. stirmi & T. blonde

tarántoula

Hi Everyone, can 1 inch slings of the following theraphosa be accurately sexed or what would the minimum size (inches) for accurate determination. Thanks in advance Marie

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I would say there are too many variables to give an answer to the question. For example, how experienced are you at sexing T's & how do you want to sex them? There is more than one way to do it. Most of us sex via a molt & that relies upon a decent molt. But it is also possible to sex without a molt. For example, via something called ventral sexing, but there are other methods. Males have extra spinnerets for producing sperm blankets.

Ventral sexing requires a much deeper knowledge of tarantula physiology. So for most keepers, it is not a very accurate method. And for a molt, I would probably say your theraphosa would need to be at least 3 inches DLS. But personally, I have never thought about sexing in terms of inches DLS.

tarántoula

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Your info is very helpful for a newbie! Will keep this in mind and will keep studying tarantula anatomy! Marie

Latest posts