• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swixter's growth, starting with March 2014

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you ever tried sexing the molt? It seems that males do grow faster than the females. My Chaco is really slowing down even though it eats pretty good. So here's hoping that mines a female. ;)

Alexander White

3 Year Member
Have you ever tried sexing the molt? It seems that males do grow faster than the females. My Chaco is really slowing down even though it eats pretty good. So here's hoping that mines a female. ;)

I've tried but it was too small for me to see, some people on here have looked and most say Swixter's male, though one person did say he may be female. I'm not sure! I'll check him later and see if I can get a good photo.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
Turns out Swixter is definitely male! He has those hooks on the back of his front legs! For mating! Oh it's great to finally be positive about his sex! So what does this mean, does this mean he is now an adult?? The hooks were not there til his most recent molt.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
April 5th, 2016

I've had Swix for two years now!

Here he is eating an adult female Dubai roach! He took her down no problem!

upload_2016-4-5_22-54-47.png
upload_2016-4-5_22-55-1.png

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Turns out Swixter is definitely male! He has those hooks on the back of his front legs! For mating! Oh it's great to finally be positive about his sex! So what does this mean, does this mean he is now an adult?? The hooks were not there til his most recent molt.
It would mean that your T has reached its ultimate molt and if you're not going to breed him soon, then he will just fade away and die of old age in a year or two. Sadly, that is the fate of our beloved male Ts.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
It would mean that your T has reached its ultimate molt and if you're not going to breed him soon, then he will just fade away and die of old age in a year or two. Sadly, that is the fate of our beloved male Ts.

I'm so excited that he is an adult! I was planning to breed them, but unfortunately I live with my mother, and she said I can't. :( Heck, it was quite a miracle that she allowed me to have a tarantula at all, so I am pleased. Swixter is a really great pet and he will be missed once he's gone.