• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions for me for a soon(ish) to be new invertebrate pet!

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
So, as soon as the septic is finished on the house my boyfriend just bought, we will be moving into it. Once that is complete, I am able to get a snake. Now, I know I want a King snake (he has a corn snake). I was originally thinking of an Eastern Chain or a black/white banded California. What are other peoples recommendations?

I know milk snakes aren't that too far of a stretch from the aforementioned habitat/care wise but I'm not as into their looks as much. I am looking for easy care for a beginner keeper (remember this is my snake), so no intense humidity requirements and such.

Thanks for any input!

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
King snakes are easy. Good eaters. I had a black/white banded California King Snake and he was awesome. I would highly recommend them. I think they are really stunning looking as well.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I definitely like the looks of the black and white banded (the ones that have black heads/more black to white ration) when I google photos. I was more asking what other people liked so I expand my circle of what kinds of Kings to look at. I think in 2 weeks my boyfriend and I are going back to that LPS to see if any of his stock is different since they went to the MA reptile expo Sunday and brought some of their selection.

What our plan is is when we're ready to get mine is to go there and see what resonates with me that he has, or as I go to see what he's had that resonates with me that is a King, and see if we can get it again. The owner and his staff are super knowledgable, the owner has a certificate/degree from a reputable school in animal and reptile science and everything was kept properly (arachnids included) and he a had a lot of good advice when we stopped in the other day.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
He said they seem cool, but I am still awaiting a final vote on it. But what of the two I am think of do people like, and what subspecies etc.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, I've not kept snakes, so I don't have much advice to give, but the OCD part of me has compelled me to bring the following to you attention: Snakes ain't invertebrates! :p Sorry, just wanted to say that! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you're talking about BPs, id say an ivory or pie bald. Those appeal to me. King snakes? The black and white are gorgeous..im still pondering getting the one my LPS has..

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I'm not sure which species I will be getting for sure. My boyfriend is more favoring a king snake over a ball python (due to the location the snakes (and ts) will be in the house), and I just can't decide cause I have more confidence in my ability than he does in his and this is my snake haha.

I am liking some of the banana Cali Kings, the ones with more black/dark brown to yellow. I like high contrast colors, and am not a fan of the dorsal stripe, the one exception being a picture I saw of an all black king snake with a racing stripe of white down its dorsal. Anyone have any other suggestions based on this? Those are just want I know of and am looking at currently, but I am very open to suggestions. First time snake keeper, so nothing too hard or needing strict humidity requirements, as stated before, and with those high contrasts would be ideal!

Thanks for all the help!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ah this is right down my alley as a noob recently looking for a first snake also :D For contrasting colors i'd go with the Scarlet Kingsnake, or if you like black and yellow(ish) the Florida kingsnake, or Eastern kingsnake. Then there's the mountain kingsnakes that look cool i think, subspecies of L. zonata.

You mentioned milksnakes also. They're a great beginner and kept like the kingsnakes from what i've been reading, as most tend to share environments. My favorite one of those is the Albino Nelson milksnake. I think you should check those milksnakes out more, I like their color combinations better than kingsnakes.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I mentioned milk snakes saying they aren't a favorite of mine. Thier bands are too evenly sized and spaced and I'm not huge on the three contrasting colors...something about them doesn't make me go pooh cool. I'm not a fan of their banding at all but I will look at the King snakes you mentioned.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Ok I looked up the king snakes and I do like the mountain one. I also think that I've seen morphs of it at one of my lps but I could be very wrong.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok I looked up the king snakes and I do like the mountain one. I also think that I've seen morphs of it at one of my lps but I could be very wrong.
You probably have. There's like 4 or 5 of the 'mountain' sub species. If I get a king snake it would be one of those or the eastern.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I haven't considered a hog nose. I think it may have been a temperment thing or strict care requirement that led me to not look into them further, I can't recall.

I think I'm leaning towards maybe a banana Cali king but eastern has been in my list too-eastern chain specifically.

@MassExodus

Last edited:

Latest posts