• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Sucking Stomach"?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, for the first time I've just heard of a "sucking stomach" . I assume this is just what it sounds like, an organ to create suction to pull food in. Could you confirm this?
Yes, its in the spiders carapace. Google arachnid sucking stomach, it will explain it better than I can..

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hahaha...love it!!! Sucking stomach!!!! Here's a old grainy video I did of my Theraphosa stirmi eating. You can see it's entire body pulsate as it eats the 5-6 crickets in its mouth. Not a food video but the sucking action is great!!!!:p

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
anatomy2.gif

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Hahaha...love it!!! Sucking stomach!!!! Here's a old grainy video I did of my Theraphosa stirmi eating. You can see it's entire body pulsate as it eats the 5-6 crickets in its mouth. Not a food video but the sucking action is great!!!!:p
Haha, the music is perfect. It starts out as a bit of a horror story but ends sad.

For clarification, are the sucking stomach and normal stomach different? I've only been in the hobby for about two years, I don't know a lot about tarantula organs yet.

Latest posts