• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

RedrockTarantulas

What are the best combos for a universal substrate or just best material for a substrate that will help curb mold growth?! Currently I'm just using coco fiber but I want to switch over to a basic general substrate because I am experiencing issues with some mold and what I've read is , top soil-vermiculite-sand is the way to go.. but I need some help!!!!

MBullock

3 Year Member
when it comes to substrate you're only really limited by your imagination.

Anything mold resistant and non-toxic that holds stability after being soaked and dried should do just fine.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am not sure if this helps, but my enclosures tend to run dryer for my arid tarantula species with room humidity 40-60 percent. I think that is because the enclosures tend to be well ventilated. I have not used topsoil and vermiculite, but I have used ZooMed's Creature Soil which has peat moss, soil, sand and carbon (and coco fiber, I can't remember).

I currently use the specialty substrate from the BioDude, which has some of the same things in Creature Soil.

I do keep a soda or juice cap of water in the enclosures at all times. I have not noticed mold in my enclosures.

MBullock

3 Year Member
IMO the sand has no benefit and is merely to increase bag weight.

A similar tactic is done in the angling industry- putting salt in a soft plastic fishing bait is merely for weight alone, because it's sold by weight in bulk. Same goes for coco fiber, they actually add a little sand to it for an extra ounce or two of weight, and because you associate coconuts with sand already you dont think twice. that's why there's always a handful of sand in each bag of eco earth lol.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
a substrate that will help curb mold growth?!

Try springtails. If your substrate needs to be so wet that it is creating mold, then it should be sufficiently wet to keep springtails.

As for vermiculite, it's designed to hold moisture, so it may actually increase your mold issues.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's tons of threads on this subject. Use the search option.
True. Tons of threads
when it comes to substrate you're only really limited by your imagination.

Anything mold resistant and non-toxic that holds stability after being soaked and dried should do just fine.
Also true.

I mix sphagnum moss with coco foir 1:1 as a mold-resistant base. Unless I'm looking for substrate that retains more moisture I add nothing else to it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
stewie-brian.gif

Egon

3 Year Member

A similar tactic is done in the angling industry- putting salt in a soft plastic fishing bait is merely for weight alone, because it's sold by weight in bulk. Same goes for coco fiber, they actually add a little sand to it for an extra ounce or two of weight, and because you associate coconuts with sand already you dont think twice. that's why there's always a handful of sand in each bag of eco earth lol.
I don't have any tarantulas but I have two bioactive enclosures for snakes and a newt, and I believe sand helps add drainage to the soil so it doesn't get overly soggy (even if you have a drainage layer). My substrate includes organic top soil, sand, sphagnum moss, leaf litter and charcoal. (I don't use peat because harvesting it is bad for the environment.) Everything in that mix will decompose except the sand.

I definitely notice a difference between the compaction and dampness in my enclosures and my several potted plants that are kept in potting soil only.

Many/most people who keep their reptiles and amphibians on mixed substrate are making their own substrate and choose to add sand, which is probably the cheapest of all the ingredients in my substrate.

MBullock

3 Year Member

A similar tactic is done in the angling industry- putting salt in a soft plastic fishing bait is merely for weight alone, because it's sold by weight in bulk. Same goes for coco fiber, they actually add a little sand to it for an extra ounce or two of weight, and because you associate coconuts with sand already you dont think twice. that's why there's
I don't have any tarantulas but I have two bioactive enclosures for snakes and a newt, and I believe sand helps add drainage to the soil so it doesn't get overly soggy (even if you have a drainage layer). My substrate includes organic top soil, sand, sphagnum moss, leaf litter and charcoal. (I don't use peat because harvesting it is bad for the environment.) Everything in that mix will decompose except the sand.

I definitely notice a difference between the compaction and dampness in my enclosures and my several potted plants that are kept in potting soil only.

Many/most people who keep their reptiles and amphibians on mixed substrate are making their own substrate and choose to add sand, which is probably the cheapest of all the ingredients in my substrate.
Most of your drainage in this instance is the charcoal and not the sand imo. It works similarly to vermiculite. Theres no need for sand with the charcoal there.

Egon

3 Year Member
I have to disagree. Most people don't add enough charcoal for it to serve as drainage. Charcoal is super expensive compared to sand.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The BioDude Terra Aranea that I use has charcoal in it, which two of my tarantulas don't like, at least not in their hideouts. And they have indicated so. I don't use spring tails as these are arid/dry enclosures. So if they are content with just bulldozing it away, I am fine.

20210901_095205.jpg

MBullock

3 Year Member
I actually considered getting some oak sawdust, staining it with coffee and using that instead. Oak sawdust is also known to repel mites too- in fact major rhino beetle breeders often de-mite larvae in pure oak mulch

Latest posts