• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate moisture for G. pulchripes, N. chromatus?

Clintaceous D

So I have some slings arriving soon: GBB @ 1", N. chromatus @ 3/4" and a G. pulchripes @ 1/2". I've had a GBB sling before, perhaps even a bit smaller then the one I'm getting now and know they are arid. I also know the signs of when a tarantula is unhappy with the dampness of a substrate.

That said, I'm not sure about the other species when it comes to moisture. Looking at the habitats they come from, the G. pulchripes probably likes a damp/slightly damp corner, and the N. chromatus would probably enjoy a damp substrate. Am I correct in my assumption? Just want to get close to what they want, as it will mean less tinkering which is best for any animal if you ask me.

If it means anything, my climate is dry. Currently the humidity is 38%, and I have seen it drop to <5% in the winter. I know humidity means nothing in the tarantula hobby now, but it does help in understanding how damp I should be keeping my T's since dry air just sucks in moisture.

Last thing, my substrate will consist of just coco coir for now since it dries easy and will prevent too soggy of an environment. Once I understand each T's needs, I'll adjust and add topsoil, sand, vermiculite, peat or anything else to help control moisture.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I keep my substrate slightly moist for all of my slings. Most slings are at the very least semi-arboreal. I also always add a small artificial leaf in my slings pots. This gives them a natural hide.

Describing substrate moisture levels is not easy. But think substrate that has sufficient moisture to not make kitchen roll damp. But sufficient to keep humidity levels up.

RedQuinn

On most of my sling bottom moist but not saturated. Lets them dig for it it wants. Coco is my best go to for me-Dry's fast resist mold. But on my gbb sling -Dry I water just the web, he covers everything. Have fun

Latest posts