• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strangest roach expierence ever

Meludox

3 Year Member
This doesn't really relate to my tarantulas at all, but it was definitely worth sharing.

So earlier I was lying in bed on my computer and I had an empty bowl of cereal on my nightstand next to me. It's pretty quiet before I start hearing the metal spoon moving around in the bowl. I turn and through the glass just see one of my 3+ inch hissers in the bowl on the spoon!

There is no way that it escaped. I checked on the tank to make sure I hadn't left it open but it was closed. ALSO I keep my roaches on a shelf below my nightstand...so I have no idea how it got on top of my nightstand.

I am still just so baffled as to how this little bastard got out and into my bowl. Anywho, I just thought I'd share this. Definitely shocked me quite a bit.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Could one of them have escaped as a nymph and then just grown up right under your nose?
I had one of my Dubia males escape once, but I hadn't put the lid on properly and he'd squeezed through. He didn't get far though and now lives with his "boyfriend" the Lobster Roach (he was inside a tub of Turkistans and has been glued to the Dubia's side since having been moved into their tank). His "partner", the female (they kept ignoring each other lol) only recently died of old age and I don't think he's got too long in this world left.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont think he woulda survive that long from nymph to adult...he had to make an escape somewhere along them line....

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My wife found a hisser in her drawer once. My T room is a good 25 feet from there.
A nymph will not survive long outside the enclosure, neither will an adult for that matter.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My wife found a hisser in her drawer once. My T room is a good 25 feet from there.
A nymph will not survive long outside the enclosure, neither will an adult for that matter.
I'm not so sure about that..she obviously eats in her room, like many people. Roaches are very tough..very tough. Tropical critter out of its normal temperature and humidity or not..life often finds a way. Is the room warm? I got my Hissers from a lps that couldn't figure out why they wouldn't breed..they were being kept at room temp, screen top, with room humidity, just a half wet sponge in a dish..being fed dry cat food. She'd had them for a year at least..I don't see how that's much different from a roach escaping into a warm house. Just saying. Roaches are very tough.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so glad to hear others have had this issue; makes me feel better. When I first got my hissers, I didn't secure the enclosure one night and I had a couple escapes. I awoke the next morning to find a 3 incher crawling up my wall. About a month later, I found three in an old Kritter Keeper that I used to house crickets it. The three had apparently been feeding off cricket food and living it up with the crickets. I was a bit surprised, as that enclosure is kept quite dry with open ventilation and a couple potatoes or carrots for moisture.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Hissers seem to have gorged themselves and went into a dormant state.they won't touch any food now...these guys are very different from dubia in their behavior.. I figured a roach is a roach, but I was wrong. I need to do more reading up on them. These are pets, btw, not feeders. One hissed at me and I was smitten..lol

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Hissers seem to have gorged themselves and went into a dormant state.they won't touch any food now...these guys are very different from dubia in their behavior.. I figured a roach is a roach, but I was wrong. I need to do more reading up on them. These are pets, btw, not feeders. One hissed at me and I was smitten..lol

Yes, they sure are! It's funny, because I got a bunch of them from a science teacher at my school that had to thin the herd a bit. I got them home and I didn't want to feed them out because they are just so darned cool. I LOVE the hissing. I'm actually going to set up an enclosure for a few "pet" hissers. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, they sure are! It's funny, because I got a bunch of them from a science teacher at my school that had to thin the herd a bit. I got them home and I didn't want to feed them out because they are just so darned cool. I LOVE the hissing. I'm actually going to set up an enclosure for a few "pet" hissers. :)
Ive also got plans for Halloween Hissers, have you seen those? Cool little guys. Not as big, but very colorful. I need more shelves..:)

Latest posts