• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange T behaviors?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
I'm curious....I bet most of you have a unique tarantula in your collection that does not conform to the expected species behavior: in other words, what unique specimens do you have?

I have 2 bizarros.

First, is my T. Okerti. From Peru, they should be semi-arboreal. Most native Ts are found in bushes or low lying tree branches at shoulder height. Yet, my T. Okerti has never climbed and has behaved like a terrestrial. I gave her a beautiful arboreal set up with plenty of height, fake plants glued onto walls, leaning tall cork bark, etc. As you can see, all she does is live near her hide. She doesn't bury herself, but as a MF she doesn't explore much either.

Next up is my A. Calcodes. A borrower right? Not my sub-adult female. Since her last molt 2 months ago, she has lined her whole enclosure (Jamie's adult terrestrial) with a carpet of web. She now webs as much as my GBB! Anyway, she has even layered on a coat on the ceiling of the enclosure. This allows her to safely walk the walls and climb, which she does all day long. She is not interested in her hide--she has buried it. She has even webbed over her water dish.

What are your unusually behaved spiders?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a Phlogiellus sp. Baeri that should be an obligate burrower but she sits in the open all the time. She has webbed over her hide and sits on top of it. All my other Phlogiellus (I currently have 15 of them) have filled their containers with web that is riddled with tunnels.

jackys

3 Year Member
Next up is my A. Calcodes. A borrower right? Not my sub-adult female. Since her last molt 2 months ago, she has lined her whole enclosure (Jamie's adult terrestrial) with a carpet of web. She now webs as much as my GBB! Anyway, she has even layered on a coat on the ceiling of the enclosure. This allows her to safely walk the walls and climb, which she does all day long. She is not interested in her hide--she has buried it. She has even webbed over her water dish.

A friend of mine describes her A. chalcodes as being quite the webber/climber too, maybe they're related or something :D!

I think my own T's are pretty close to the stereotypes of their respective species though.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. chaclodes dig as slings, then like most NW terrestrials they're out in the open as they get larger. The carpet of web is a sensor mat for prey, since the chalcodes are slow and lazy, they like to sit still and let the prey come to them.

All T's are unique and act different ;) I do have an odd one though. My paranoid B. sabulosum. Any slight disturbance to her enclosure and she's in a threat pose. you drop a roach in to feed her, or a worm, or whatever, and she'll go into pose, then slap it if it comes near. Once she slaps it and realizes it's prey then she'll settle down and wait for the dubia or worm to move, or wait for the lateralis to race back by.

She'll pose at the tongs when i'm cleaning, pose at the water dish when it's being filled. If i happen to splash the water she'll slap the ground.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I have few like this as well, my Psalmopoeus Pulcher is arboreal and I almost never see it at the top of its enclosure, its dug out a little cave at the bottom of its cork tree and stays in or around there all of the time.
My Ephebopus Murinus is a burrowing species and it tends to stay out on the wall of the enclosure from time to time, where I've read others rarely see theirs outside there burrow ever.

Latest posts