• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange behavior, please explain.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have a female B. smithi, 4.5 inches and when I feed her two red runners she will hunt them both down. She will then drop them in a pile, turn around and rub her spinneretes back and forth on them for around five minutes, no webbing. She then picks them back up and continues to feed.

Any meaning behind this ritual?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Who knows why Ts do some of the things they do:rolleyes:. Maybe she just likes to play with her food but at least she is eating.:)

Mr. P

3 Year Member
As long as she's eating them, it's all good.

Oh she is eating them alright. I just think it's funny because I can drop two or three red runners in there and she will chase them all down. Once she has them she will put them all in a pile and turn around and rub her backside on them for a bit. Then she will pick them up and eat, after about 20 minutes she does it again. She will do this three or four times before she finishes them, it's amusing.

Last edited: