• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spiderdad new to the forum

SpiderDad

3 Year Member
I have always found spiders interesting. In the last year I have acquired 4 tarantulas. My first a wild Texas Brown my son found in his yard. Then I purchased a Rose Hair about 8 months ago. I just recently purchased a T. Blondi. And the forth, 2 days ago, another Texas Brown that was clipped by a car and we rescued. She lost her first leg but is doing fine. I have a wonderful wife who puts up with my fascination with few complaints.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great start! Very cool that you are able to enjoy Tarantulas in your own back yard. Congrats on the new addition and for marrying well ;). Welcome aboard.

PamCz

3 Year Member
T rescue! Yeah! :D

Welcome! I'm new, too, and this forum is wonderful...I'm sure you'll enjoy it and find it very useful.

I second Denny Dee....you married well. lol... ;)

xray_chic

3 Year Member
Maybe a California ebony-
Aphonopelma eutylenum. I'm from California. I've had 2 locals for about 13 years. One was given to me and I caught one (before I knew better).
I do love seeing them out roaming on the 4X4 trails in the fall.

PamCz

3 Year Member
@xray_chic I think you may be right. I remember it was either black or dark brown. I don't remember much else, other than the size...around 4" DSL, and that it was a calm T -- no threat displays, no running. It was just out wandering in the middle of the day...had to be a male, looking for ladies...lol :D

xray_chic

3 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433058510.890158.jpg

-this is a male I came across last year. I hope he found "the one". Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433058579.954539.jpg

-this is one of my females.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
Ok. Had to get a better pic. She was having a moment in that last pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433059071.913119.jpg

@PamCz I have noticed that the males seem pretty docile except for sticking their butts up in the air when threatened, which is freaking adorable. I assume they have their mission and nothing else registers. The females are a little more aggressive IME. They've never lunged at me but they give me the impression that I better not push my luck.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Ok. Had to get a better pic. She was having a moment in that last pic.
View attachment 10079
@PamCz I have noticed that the males seem pretty docile except for sticking their butts up in the air when threatened, which is freaking adorable. I assume they have their mission and nothing else registers. The females are a little more aggressive IME. They've never lunged at me but they give me the impression that I better not push my luck.
YES!! That's it! I really think that's what I saw. I don't remember ANY colors on it...just solid dark brown/black. I would love to see one in the wild again. Missed opportunity to really study it for a bit while it was out & about.

My A. chalcodes sticks her butt in the air all the time! It's hysterical! :D I guess I reinforce her behavior, cuz when she does it, I immediately back off and leave her alone. I don't care about getting a little haired, but I don't like her having a bald spot! :rolleyes: lol....

Thanks for the pics! Mystery solved, I think! :T: And a gorgeous T you have there...nice-n-plump! :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Poor little man...sucks to be a MM. Thx for posting him!
It really does. I found a 4 legged wolf spider in my front yard a few nights ago. I felt so bad for it.

Anyway, it's nice that you have the opportunity to see these animals in their natural habitats.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
It really does. I found a 4 legged wolf spider in my front yard a few nights ago. I felt so bad for it.

Anyway, it's nice that you have the opportunity to see these animals in their natural habitats.

I agree. It's awesome to see a T just walking casually by.