• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some help sexing/bad info?

tapkoote

3 Year Member
My first T-B-smithi 3 3/4 inch. I bought it as a female, it's molted, no spermathecae.
Now the lady at the pet shop says it wont show up until it's mature.
I would think this spider is large enough to be mature. Any help?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7276.jpg
    IMG_7276.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 29

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No spermathecae, uterus externus or bursa copulatrix visable. At 3 3/4" you would be able to see these fairly easily if your spider was female. The pet shop lady is talking out her poo hole I'm afraid.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I'm embarrassed: on the ventral shot, it looks male to me. But it seems there is something between the book lungs in the molt. The problem is as it isn't focused, it's hard to tell. But it could be female.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The only thing between the book lungs is a blurry gonopore. If it was a female then the bursa copulatrix would be the most obvious feature to see from that angle, slightly blurry or not. I just wish people would stop trying to sex spiders based purely on spermathecae alone.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
The only thing between the book lungs is a blurry gonopore. If it was a female then the bursa copulatrix would be the most obvious feature to see from that angle, slightly blurry or not. I just wish people would stop trying to sex spiders based purely on spermathecae alone.
plessey I'm new to all this
I looked up the bursa copulatrix, there's a hand drawing stating it's not shed in molt. I'm confused, standing by.Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 9.44.07 AM.png

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No worries we are here to help.

Below that drawing it says "This drawing shows how all the parts connect with the organs that are not shed during a moult." Just underneath it it says "Uterus internus. A short section of tube that connects to the uterus externus at one end and to the oviducts at the other. This along with the oviduct and ovaries is not shed." The photograph above the drawing shows the spermathecae, uterus externus and bursa copulatrix so these parts are obviously shed.

The bursa copulatrix is the lower alcove that is formed below the spermathecae and the uterus externus. It is an elliptical shaped indentation in the shed skin that is only found in females.

Latest posts