• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smithi Unwell

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
Hello, unfortunately the 2nd spider I ever got is unwell. Not sure if its a parasite or just dehydration but shes been moved to an tarantula ICU. Any thoughts/insight are appreciated.

Attachments

• 505EBB67-0233-4D15-B491-9E9B385811E8.jpeg
    505EBB67-0233-4D15-B491-9E9B385811E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry, that sucks. What led up to this condition? Did you acquire it sick or did it get sick in your care?
Why ICU?

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
Sorry, that sucks. What led up to this condition? Did you acquire it sick or did it get sick in your care?
Why ICU?
Just very sluggish, curling up sort of start of death curl. I’ve had her for like 7 years; this all started a week or so ago. ICU in case shes dehydrated.

timc

3 Year Member
Unfortunately ICUs come from the reptile/amphibian hobby, and don’t actually help tarantulas 99.99% of the time. It’s best to leave her in her enclosure with a full water dish and hope for the best. She doesn’t look well at all sadly. Do you have pictures of her normal enclosure? That might shed some light on the situation. Best of luck to you and her.

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
Here is her enclosure, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 745E6E2D-BDE7-4B5A-9088-B8AC8894502B.jpeg
    745E6E2D-BDE7-4B5A-9088-B8AC8894502B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17

timc

3 Year Member
Looks like a fall could have contributed here, there could definitely be more substrate in that enclosure. Was she showing any different/peculiar behavior before showing these symptoms?

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
Not particularly, could be a fall; I don't think there is more then 10 inches or so for her to climb. Hard lesson. There is a strange mark that almost looks like a dent on her abdomen. Noticed it when I was refreshing her water dish a bit more then a week ago.

timc

3 Year Member
Ten inches is kind of a lot for a tarantula to fall. That might also explain the trauma to the abdomen. Try to keep her hydrated, but sadly it doesn’t look good. Keep us posted, I’m rooting for her.