• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling still closed up in borrow

Steph

3 Year Member
Hello,
I posted about the 3rd week of Jan reporting that my Brachypelma smithii sling (hatched late fall/early winter of 2013) had closed herself (I know, technically still to early to know gender) off in her burrow around Jan 1st, and being a 1st-time baby T owner, I was more than a bit curious as to how long a juvenile of that age range could go without eating, as generally her previous pre-molts hadn't been more than 2-3 weeks.

Okay, well the sling, still closed off in her burrow (she's fully visible to me at all times in there with where she located the burrow) finally molted about 4 days ago. I have, all this time, never stopped spritzing the enclosure every 2-3 days, but now I'm REALLY wondering how long she can continue without food? I realize it takes about 5-7 days for a T's new exoskeleton to harden post-molt, and when I posted with the original question, one of the responses I got explained that T's may seal up their burrow entrance to stay warm in winter.

So I'm appealing to the nice folks on the forum for more guidance regarding this. I had an adult Grammastola rosa female about 20 years ago, so this baby T is all new territory here. I have been consulting my copy of the Tarantula Keepers handbook, I just don't recall any of the sling-related info going into this, as I know the author can't anticipate every situation.

Thanks for your guidance on this. Steph

NYX

3 Year Member
I have read really small slings can harden up pretty quickly. I personally would put whatever you have been feeding it in with her. Even if the T is in the burrow if it is hungry it will come out and get it. Just remove the item in a day or two if she Doesn't go for it. Since it is a sling I would offer food every 3 or 4 days until it eats.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Nyx

Steph

3 Year Member
Thanks so much, Nyx. I've been wondering if smaller juveniles do harden up faster than an adult. I will take your advice and put a fresh fruit fly in with the sling in the morning. I figure by now she's gotta be more than a tad hungry. We're also having an unusually mild winter this year (I'm in north Idaho), so maybe that'll also add to her willingness to make an appearance. Thanks so much !

Steph

3 Year Member
Great news! My little spider has finally emerged from her burrow. As I mentioned Sat., she molted the middle of last week, and as always, I've continued spritzing her enclosure and keeping her little water bowl (kinda small to call it a bowl, but whatever) filled; and I check everyday to see what she's up to. When I checked her about half an hour ago, she was on the surface of her substrate, half in and half out of her shelter log. I nearly did a cartwheel . Today was the day to give her water, so I did that, and I gave fresh fruit to her fruit flies so I can give the sling breakfast in the morning, which I figure is why she emerged, to find something to eat.
Thanks so much for everyone's advice and feedback! I so appreciate it . Steph