• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jono8Legs

Hey,

My first Acanthoscurria Geniculata is arriving next week (It's a young juvie spood). I have a square cube Tarantula Room enclosure ready for its arrival, but I'm wondering how best to position the substrate. I've seen on a lot of husbandry photos and videos that like to slant the substrate. This is not specific to the Acanthoscurria Geniculata species, but for many terrestrial species of spider as well.

I have seen just as many photos/videos that keep the substrate on even ground as well. Is there any benefit or difference for slanting the substrate? I think maybe the slanting gives a little more floorspace maybe? Or I could be overthinking it and some hobbyists do it just for visual aesthetics. The final reason I could think is that the slanting compensates for any excess height to prevent nasty falls. I just don't know if it is necessary to do it or not for my T. I have noticed this slanting in a lot of Exo Terra cubes, so I don't know if the slanting is to compensate for the low ventilation grill on Exo Terras.

Thanks for any explanations.

Right now I have exclusively terrestrials. They always start out the way I want them and end up the way the T wants them to look. I have an A. Seemanni that I had to go in and remove substrate because she took all of it from one side of the enclosure and put it all on the other side. So her hide is on the bottom of her enclosure and she sits under it. I need to post up some pictures one of these days.

Latest posts