• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Trinidad Olive

ChalkZ28

Hello I am new here so I will be trying my best. I have a trinidad olive that is roughly 15 months old. Sex unknown. Here in Texas it dropped down to freezing temps for a long period of time back in Feb 2021. We all seen it on tv. Well all was well until they cut my power off the night it hit -4 degrees. I had propane for my furnace but then it ran out at 1am. So my tarantulas got very very cold in the middle of the night.
I didn't realize it til it was too late. My curly hair tarantula did fine but the olive did not. Its been over a month now and I have kept him in a ICU nearly the entire time. I believe it has kept him alive since he can't eat or drink..
He just sits there and just twitches the entire time. His legs started to curl up once but the returned to normal.
He reacts with small movements

and if you flash a light at him he will slighlty raise his front legs. What could this be?? Any hope or should I just put him out of his misery. I do not want to but if he doesn't have a chance then I will.
What should I do

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear this has happened :'( poor guy. I don't have any ideas but am bumping this in the hope someone else will! I did wonder though what temperature you are keeping him at in the ICU?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Almost looks like a spider version of frost bite, if there is such a thing. Is he mature? If not, he might molt out of it.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have you tried feeding it by putting mushed food like mealworms right up to it's mouth? Same question with water.

ChalkZ28

Thanks for the replies!! I will try feeding him mushed up worms. It never crossed my mind to do h tat so thanks again. I can't kill anything but mosquitoes so I want him try and make it. I have raised him from a ling and he has molted alot 7-8 times in 15 months roughly. Been a great spider. I have never got to hold him because they are lightning fast!!! I nearly bought another T yesterday but I feel like if I do I am giving up on this guy.

Latest posts