• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick section of YouTube

Jeef

3 Year Member
On October 28th we are getting a pacman frog from a reptile Expo. We wanted a bioactive enclosure. After two weeks of tearing down, setting back up, and tweaking I finally have the enclosure to where it will hold consistent and appropriate humidity and temperatures.

I turned to YouTube for a bit of due diligence and all I have to say is, what the hell?!

There are a very large number of tutorials where bioactive appears to mean: we put dirt in it, therefore it is bioactive. I even initially skipped using a drainage layer because of one of the bigger names and found out that wasn't going to work for me.

This was minor compared to the next travesty.

I understand the benefit of feeding videos. What I don't understand is when it gets made into a spectacle. I can live with "here is my pacman eating a nightcrawler," or "here is how you dust crickets with vitamins." What I'm not cool with is here is my pacman vs 17 hamsters. Before anyone even thinks of saying it, there was one where they fed it a live octopus. This isn't normal feeding. And there appear to be ton more of those than there are informational ones.

Just when I was thoroughly fed up with scrolling past all this trash looking for something of value, I stumbled across these 'battle royal" videos where apparently people put 4 or 5 different animals in a box and let them fight. Now you get tarantula vs. scorpion vs centipede vs mouse or whatever. There aren't just a few of these either.

I can't believe YouTube lets stuff like this fly, but there you are. I didn't click on any of it to be clear, thumbnails were enough. I guess the moral of the rant/warning is for every Tom's Big Spiders or Dave's Little Beasties there is someone willing to throw a live mouse in with a T. stirmi for clicks. The worst part is, you can't even filter that stuff out to my knowledge.

tarantula ramblings

I was put off getting a pac man frog by searching on yt and thinking of you have to feed them all that stuff then I don't want one .
I have since got one and it's fine on the odd roach .

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
On October 28th we are getting a pacman frog from a reptile Expo. We wanted a bioactive enclosure. After two weeks of tearing down, setting back up, and tweaking I finally have the enclosure to where it will hold consistent and appropriate humidity and temperatures.

I turned to YouTube for a bit of due diligence and all I have to say is, what the hell?!

There are a very large number of tutorials where bioactive appears to mean: we put dirt in it, therefore it is bioactive. I even initially skipped using a drainage layer because of one of the bigger names and found out that wasn't going to work for me.

This was minor compared to the next travesty.

I understand the benefit of feeding videos. What I don't understand is when it gets made into a spectacle. I can live with "here is my pacman eating a nightcrawler," or "here is how you dust crickets with vitamins." What I'm not cool with is here is my pacman vs 17 hamsters. Before anyone even thinks of saying it, there was one where they fed it a live octopus. This isn't normal feeding. And there appear to be ton more of those than there are informational ones.

Just when I was thoroughly fed up with scrolling past all this trash looking for something of value, I stumbled across these 'battle royal" videos where apparently people put 4 or 5 different animals in a box and let them fight. Now you get tarantula vs. scorpion vs centipede vs mouse or whatever. There aren't just a few of these either.

I can't believe YouTube lets stuff like this fly, but there you are. I didn't click on any of it to be clear, thumbnails were enough. I guess the moral of the rant/warning is for every Tom's Big Spiders or Dave's Little Beasties there is someone willing to throw a live mouse in with a T. stirmi for clicks. The worst part is, you can't even filter that stuff out to my knowledge.
Yeah there is some sick stuff out there. I attribute that to mostly people wanting to maximize views for revenue. There are some who have a morbid interest in such things.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Youtube at times seems happy to host some very dubious content, provided it produces income. And it's difficult to choose who is the most depraved, Youtube for willingly hosting it, the unbalanced who produce & post it. Or the individuals who happily watch it & thus make it profitable to produce & host.

Blackdog

Serpadesin does all lot of bioactive and is extremely PC friendly. Oddly youtube has a ton of weird rules for content production that don't apply to that

MBullock

3 Year Member
it doesnt bother me when mice are fed to stirmi, its actually a higher quality meal than a roach. Its when its a huge rat that makes me cringe. Not because of the violence or whatever, but because that rat likely sat in there for a week stinking up the whole home.

What bothers me alot more, are when people intentionally anger mammals for youtube videos.

There's a famous caracal everyone knows as 'floppa' and his owners routinely annoy him and jam cameras in his face to get him to snarl and act mean. Cats dont like cameras we ALL know this!

Take the sweetest friendliest cat ever and jam a big ole camera in its face. Not only is it seeing another cat, but rhe contraption is scary looking too. Its like a cat visiting the vet but the vet is wearing a plague mask

GarField000

3 Year Member
For many people YouTube is there for getting money.
How do you get money? If people watch.
Sad to say but clickbait still works. Inocent stuff like a lady with a sexy outfit to a video where there is no sexy lady, to titles like "most dangerous snake fight". And also with real crazy content that you saw.

YouTube works with a algoritme, so if you watched one like that, it will suggest more and more as it will generate the income for the people.

Why are there dogfights in real life? Because it generates money.
Why are there crazy video's on the internet? Because it generates money.
YouTube don't care what it is, as long as it generates income.

There are also crazy video's there that tell you the earth is flat. With 'scientific' prove it's there. If you watch a few of these it will suggest other kind off content with things that are not true to the edge people are almost brainwashed and don't know the truth anymore.

GarField000

3 Year Member
Only thing you can do is ignore it, and IF you watched a few, go to your youtube history and remove these video's (as you did not watch them).

Latest posts