• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I get a Mexican red-knee?

Moray

3 Year Member
I'm currently considering getting another tarantula, a Mexican red-knee specifically. The Petco by my house has spiderlings available and my parents have given me the okay. I'm just a little concerned because of the fact that red-knees are apparently notorious for flicking hairs. I have a curly hair right now and she's super docile, a little skittish but she's never bitten me or flicked hairs. I'm just a little.. paranoid I suppose?? So if you own a red-knee I would very much appreciate it if you could share your experience !!
I also have another question: how long does it take for a tarantula to reach it's full size? I'm curious because if I do end up getting another t (as a spiderling), I'd like to know how long until I need to buy it a bigger terrarium lol.
Thank you for reading !!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
B. smithi are a good beginners T and usually fairly calm so a good choice for a second one. As for how long it takes for a T to reach adult size, it's a difficult one to answer as there are so many things that can affect it, species, sex, temperatures and feeding. If it helps, I got my 2 B. smithi 22 months ago as 0.5" slings and they are both now 2.5 - 3" dls.

Moray

3 Year Member
B. smithi are a good beginners T and usually fairly calm so a good choice for a second one. As for how long it takes for a T to reach adult size, it's a difficult one to answer as there are so many things that can affect it, species, sex, temperatures and feeding. If it helps, I got my 2 B. smithi 22 months ago as 0.5" slings and they are both now 2.5 - 3" dls.
ah okay thank you! this was very helpful, I really appreciate it :^D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They kick hairs when they're irritated, just move slow, use a soft brush like a clean makeup brush and gently try and move a leg, usually they'll just go along with you. If you try to push them to move them, or make sudden movements in their enclosures, then they'll start kicking hairs. They're like stereotyped hawaiian's, very laid back and relaxed ;)

Moray

3 Year Member
They kick hairs when they're irritated, just move slow, use a soft brush like a clean makeup brush and gently try and move a leg, usually they'll just go along with you. If you try to push them to move them, or make sudden movements in their enclosures, then they'll start kicking hairs. They're like stereotyped hawaiian's, very laid back and relaxed ;)
okay, knowing that makes me feel a lot better lol xD thank you very much!!

Charlotte Butterworth

3 Year Member
I just got a Mexican red knee and is pretty chilled and will peacefully sit in my hand . I’ve not received any hairs yet , but the paintbrush can always be useful for testing temperaments. And as long as you move slow they move slow . Definitely a lovely T .

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nevertheless, it's a good question. A paintbrush and a big gulp slurpee cup are your friends if hair flicking might occur.

Just because you can "get away" with handling a T doesn't mean you should.

A calm temperament makes cage maintenance easier. Running up the tongs and bonzai charges aren't amusing unless it's someone else on YouTube!!

It's best to keep the tongs out of the range of fire in any case.

bbbs53

3 Year Member
I had one for almost 20 years and she never bristled me. Very docile. The girl I have now is supposed to be a real flicker of class 3 bristles, so far she has not. I don't feel too compelled to handle her unless necessary, but again, so far, no bristles. A paint brush is a good way to find out, but if she/he does, watch out for the cloud. It is a great first T.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had my 4" female for 3 years. Got her as a 1" sling. My 6" female is 11 years old. I don't know her history for growth. She is alittle heavier than when I got her a couple years ago. Slow growing species for sure. As for kicking hair...only when I startle them. If I announce I'm coming in a minute before(knock or unlock cage) I can touch them , clean up without incident. Even if you get an adult (female) your still looking at keeping her 15 plus years. I know this is a old post but wanted to answer growth rates for future readers.

Latest posts