• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing a sling under the microscope

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hi there :)

As my GBB sling havent eat since almost 3 weeks, a molt should be comming soon (previous molt was 1 month and half ago).

But I was wondering, I dont know if it does concern T's, but most of the time, sexual organs cannot be visibles under a certain lifestage, which mean not fully developed and not really sexable.

So my question would be, is there a chance I can sex a 3,5cm legspan GBB under a microscope ?

Here a picture :)
20171105_160049.jpg

Wishing you a nice day !

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
At that size it will be difficult.

Usually around the 1.5" mark is when I start to see developement.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK. I'll bite. Slapmygoat, how are you going to get her ventral side under a microscope??? I'm not being snarky, I am just curious. BTW, cool T!!

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
As I own a little microscope with a maximum of 1200 magnification, I'll wait the next molt, place it in a bit of water and detergent for few minuts, and place the abdomen on a lame. That is how it works isn't it ? :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Slapmygoat my opinion on this is in my own experience, with my GBB, her female parts were not even developed enough when I could see a good shot with just a magnifying glass...so...just wait until you can see with a magnifier or nothing at all. if she is that small she isn't even developed enough for sexing. some species you may be able to, but not with the GBB...that's what I have found.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
@Slapmygoat my opinion on this is in my own experience, with my GBB, her female parts were not even developed enough when I could see a good shot with just a magnifying glass...so...just wait until you can see with a magnifier or nothing at all. if she is that small she isn't even developed enough for sexing. some species you may be able to, but not with the GBB...that's what I have found.

Okay, that was the answer I was waiting for. Thanks ! :)

Latest posts