• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scents and Candles

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
Hi Friends,

I've been reading a little bit about candles and T's. I wanted to get some thoughts from you all.

I know cedar is a natural insect repellent, however, I do enjoy cedar smells in things like cologne and candles. Would a cedar scented candle pose problems for Larry (my T) where the oil is a natural repellent? Is it the same thing? The candle would not be in the same room as Larry, but the smell would obviously waft through my apartment.

And now, what about cologne, or if I keep cedar balls in my closet/drawers? I work for a charity thrift store of which all of proceeds benefit HIV/AIDS research and treatment, so we often get donations of old clothing that's been poorly stored, so moths are a legitimate threat. My closet and drawers are in the room adjacent to my bedroom where Larry is, but if I smell like cedar, will that bother him? Or is it only if it's in his enclosure it will bother him?

Are there any other scents or oil I should avoid besides cedar (if the candles are a no go)?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son and i have been burning incense for years. TBH I never even thought how our T's would react to that, but they've been fine. I don't know all the scents my son burns, but I know we use sandal wood, jasmin, and lavender once or twice a week.

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
I mean most candle scents come from essential oils, right? SO I should avoid cedar scented candles as best I can.

But are there any other scents he might find unkind? I've been burning wintery scents like pine, there's a few candles I'd like to get but sometimes the combinations of scents smell sort of cedar-ish. I'm probably over thinking.

Latest posts