• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Risked life to take pics of P. regalis.

arachbiodude

Spider rarely comes out and then walking around like bat out of hell and I am trying to take pictures. Potent venom.

Attachments

• regalis1.jpg
    regalis1.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 20
  • regalis2.jpg
    regalis2.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 19
  • regalis3.jpg
    regalis3.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 20

Blackdog

Depends on your bodies' reaction. Their venom is medically relevant so cramps and pains, but if you have allergy issues it could make the reaction much worse. I have a P. Metallica and I have a feeding hole cut in the enclosure that has apiece of plexi bolted over it so I can uncover drop in food and quickly recover the hole. Respect, Love and a healthy dose of Fear!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I rehoused a new to me P Irminia on Friday. I used a childs paintbrush to provide some gentle persuasion to encourage it to climb into the transfer cup, which I placed just above it. As it sat in a corner. I then turned that over & placed it open side up, in the new arboreal enclosure & persuaded it to walk out into it's new enclosure.

I did for a second think about the need for a lid as I turned the transfer cup up the right way, my fingers & palm being within easy strike range. But I do not really understand why some people are so afraid old world T's. Yes some species are more prone to aggression, rather than defensiveness. But no T, has medically significant venom & yes, a bite may spoil your weekend. But in general, if we are calm & gentle, then the T's are not manic either.

I have picked a piece of bark up, fingers less than an inch from an old wold & transferred them between old & new enclosures. We are far more likely to be haired by a stroppy new world, than bitten by an old world. Hairs are a first line of defence, as is the speed of an old world & defensiveness of both old & new worlds. Biting is a last line of defence & it places the biter at significant risk, so very few T's would choose to bite without good reason.