• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Retractable butt tentacle?!

goldenpumpkin

I've tried searching online for answers, to no avail. So I figured those of you who have waxworms/waxmoths might have some answers.
So, my batch of feeder waxworms has recently begun to mature into a batch of waxmoths; how exciting! Buuut I've noticed a couple "WTF" things about them. Firstly, I've noticed brown liquid stains up on the walls of their enclosure. I know it was from the moths and not the worms, because the worms can't reach that high. At first I assumed it was poop, but then I was like, wait...don't they only do all their eating as worms? So how could they be pooping now, as moths?? Unless...it's sperm? I don't know what moth sperm looks like, so maybe. But then I saw it. I looked closely at the moths that were crawling around the wall of their enclosure, and saw the creepiest thing I've encountered thus far in my time of keeping exotic pets. They have these LONG, WET, WORMLIKE THINGS that slither in and out of their butts. RETRACTABLE BUTT WORMS. The moths appear to be using them to feel around the walls and the crevasses of their substrate. Actually, it's kind of like a tentacle. I cannot seem to find out what they are from the websites I've seen. Please Tarantula Forum, I need answers!!

MBullock

3 Year Member
It's the male moth's adaegus (copulatory organ) as he searches for females.

as for all the dark fluid you see- it's mostly water and wastes, hemolymph, etc. It starts clear or light colored, then turns brown/black care of the maillard reaction, a familiar example of the maillard reaction is when apple slices turn brown shortly after cutting them.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
The title of this completely cracked me up ahaha love it :p

I too have had my first experience of a maxworm turning into a moth this last week. I did see some dark fluid on my mantises wall where the moth was, but assumed maybe that was the remains after being eaten. I have been trying to get the waxworms to turn into more moths by keeping them out of the fridge, as my mantises are more likely to eat the flying things. But so far no more have turned. Do you have any tips for making them turn? A lot of mine have not only not turned, but gone black/died :/

MBullock

3 Year Member

I too have had my first experience of a maxworm turning into a moth this last week. I did see some dark fluid on my mantises wall where the moth was, but assumed maybe that was the remains after being eaten. I have been trying to get the waxworms to turn into more moths by keeping them out of the fridge, as my mantises are more likely to eat the flying things. But so far no more have turned. Do you have any tips for making them turn? A lot of mine have not only not turned, but gone black/died :/
You need to keep them at 85 degrees or higher, the warmer the faster they'll grow.

You can make a simple easy waxworm medium by mixing vegetable glycerine, potato flakes and a bit of honey/corn syrup. the glycerine keeps it moist but doesnt allow mold to develop. you will also need to add wax-paper. wax-paper emulates the comb, the moths will lay their eggs on the waxpaper.

goldenpumpkin

It's the male moth's adaegus (copulatory organ) as he searches for females.

as for all the dark fluid you see- it's mostly water and wastes, hemolymph, etc. It starts clear or light colored, then turns brown/black care of the maillard reaction, a familiar example of the maillard reaction is when apple slices turn brown shortly after cutting them.
Wow, gnarly- thanks for answering!

goldenpumpkin

The reason mine all turned super fast was because I never refrigerated them

goldenpumpkin

You need to keep them at 85 degrees or higher, the warmer the faster they'll grow.

You can make a simple easy waxworm medium by mixing vegetable glycerine, potato flakes and a bit of honey/corn syrup. the glycerine keeps it moist but doesnt allow mold to develop. you will also need to add wax-paper. wax-paper emulates the comb, the moths will lay their eggs on the waxpaper.
Ok I'm glad you posted these tips because I was actually using different stuff from a YouTube video on the matter. Thank you!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some have it worse than others!!!!!

0CB01A87-3465-4CB2-BC68-D3CF0C6003F2.jpeg

Gizalba

3 Year Member

Thanks very much for this info! :)

Latest posts