• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehoused L Klugi Justina

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got her out from her old enclosure into the new one. Sadly enough, her skull is just plain to small so I used a more boring shelter.

The substrate is about 50/50 mix between eco earth and vermiculite. I also mixed in a glass of water with that.

I also added a little bit of frog moss in case she doesn't like the substrate.

Yes, some think that gauges are useless, but they are handy foot holds if she gets lost on the roof and needs to get down.

It'll be interesting to see how badly she tears it all up.
L Klugi Justina rehousing 4.jpg
L Klugi Justina rehousing 1.jpg
L Klugi Justina rehousing future.jpg
L Klugi Justina rehousing 2.jpg
L Klugi Justina rehousing 3.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's actively exploring the enclosure but hasn't found the hide yet. It'll be interesting to see where and how she ends up.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update:

It's obvious that she didn't like the substrate and strongly favored the side of the enclosure where the water dish was located, even perching permanently upon the glass above the dish.

Therefore I added a layer of pure eco earth and reversed the locations of the hide and water dish. I gently sloped it down to the rear to create a little bit more privacy while still keeping her visible.

It appears successful. She immediately went into her hide after being reintroduced directly upon it.

I also did a hot side cold side arrangement with the heating because it was only getting up to 74 and she's used to 80 on the warm side of the enclosure.

The amount of substrate needed for a larger enclosure is quite a bit more then I thought.

I liberally moistened the eco earth as well. At least she's pretty easy to move into and out of a container without too much drama.

As much as I like seeing her hanging around outside, no one wants to see a morose spider!!

For some reason, she's aggressively attacking the tongs when feeding which means I have to drop food at a safe distance, even ran half way up them when I fed her last. It appears better to drop feeders right in front of her.

I guess "death from above" is the way to go. Up to this point, I would gently place feeders right in front of her.

She did eat a mealworm even when hanging out on the glass. I aimed it right above the fangs but that didn't appear to be the right thing to do.

The old enclosure will become resurrected when the balfouri gets big enough for rehousing. Heck, since they don't get bigger then 5", that enclosure should be just fine as a permanent one for that species.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Verdict:

She now likes the hot side, but at least is hanging out on the substrate not the glass.

Also very happy to get an earthworm!!

The digital thermometer revealed the magic number when aimed at her position. You guessed it, drums rolling, 80 degrees!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's the latest and greatest configuration for her rehousing. She wanders around the entire cage exploring everything, which is a good sign.

The frog moss is a big hit.

A happy T is a welcome sight. Vermiculite--never again!!
L Klugi Justina rehouse 2.0 3.jpg
L klugi Justina rehouse 2.0 4.jpg
L Klugi Justina rehouse 2.0 2.jpg
L klugi Justina rehouse 2.0 1.jpg

She was dragging an earthworm worm all around the cage earlier yesterday through the water dish and even along the glass, happily eating it as she went!!

After all, being moved in and out of enclosure twice deserves a reward for being well behaved.

Latest posts