• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Refusing food for over a year!!!

beebhabie

3 Year Member
As title reads.. My Aphonopelma chalcodes hasn’t eaten in over a year. It’s been probably a year and a half at this point.
I have tried superworms, mealworms, dubia roaches. She simply swats them away and refuses to eat. I know this species can be like this, so I wouldn’t be (and previously was not) worried had she not also be visibly shrinking away. I’ve had her maybe 3 years total and she has not eaten much during that entire course of time. I would say, in the past, she would eat less than monthly as is - although I would of course offer food to her more often than that.

She was MUCH bigger when I first got her. Her abdomen is tiny now.. Any thoughts, advice, experience on this would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9770.jpeg
    IMG_9770.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
A long shot, but maybe a rehouse with just a hide and water dish. As you stated this species can fast but she is definitely looking a bit on the thin side for a female A Chalcodes! Totally understand your concern and best of luck to y'all!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have 2 female A chalcodes & as you say, they can be problematic feeders. As can A jonnycashi. We only feed crickets & as long as the is size is right my two will eat, some weeks. But anything, even slightly too big & they do not eat & it seems they only take one cricket per week, at most. So nothing too small either.

Given the personality of chalcodes, I would imagine that it's not a one solution fits all feeding solution for them. But certainly, try variations on themes, as they will eat, when you get it right for their temperament.

MBullock

3 Year Member
IMO she's dehydrated. The slapping thing is pretty typical behavior of the thirsty tarantula. a spider that size will need a water dish at least 2" deep to adequately hydrate. it may be that your water dish is far too shallow for a decent drink.

A rehouse is def needed, ive noted chalcodes tend to outright detest cramped conditions, especially when they get larger. Marxi is like this too.

Many will claim spiders are stressed out by large enclosures, which is incorrect. The only issue with a larger enclosure is the greater height to fall from- which could result in abdominal rupture or broken limbs, however that issue is solved easily by simply adding more substrate.

They cant eat when dehydrated as the water is needed to chew and swallow properly, or even walk. its basically hydraulics, using fluid to extend limbs.

beebhabie

3 Year Member
IMO she's dehydrated. The slapping thing is pretty typical behavior of the thirsty tarantula. a spider that size will need a water dish at least 2" deep to adequately hydrate. it may be that your water dish is far too shallow for a decent drink.

A rehouse is def needed, ive noted chalcodes tend to outright detest cramped conditions, especially when they get larger. Marxi is like this too.

Many will claim spiders are stressed out by large enclosures, which is incorrect. The only issue with a larger enclosure is the greater height to fall from- which could result in abdominal rupture or broken limbs, however that issue is solved easily by simply adding more substrate.

They cant eat when dehydrated as the water is needed to chew and swallow properly, or even walk. its basically hydraulics, using fluid to extend limbs.
Thank you for the thorough advice! I’ll try anything at this point, so time to give rehousing a shot.

Jeef

3 Year Member
We have 2 female A chalcodes & as you say, they can be problematic feeders. As can A jonnycashi. We only feed crickets & as long as the is size is right my two will eat, some weeks. But anything, even slightly too big & they do not eat & it seems they only take one cricket per week, at most. So nothing too small either.

Given the personality of chalcodes, I would imagine that it's not a one solution fits all feeding solution for them. But certainly, try variations on themes, as they will eat, when you get it right for their temperament.
Can confirm.

If I was going to be shrunk down and placed in one of my tarantula's enclosures, I'd want it to by my A. johnnycashi with my A. chalcodes being a close second. They appear to be able to live off air.

Latest posts