• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red Rump Concern

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

After losing my Blue Cobalt I purchased a sub-adult male Red Rump. After only 2 days in its new enclosure it ate a cricket and then barricaded itself in the burrow it dug. Should I be concerned? Should I disturb the burrow? Do I keep trying to feed him? I don't want to lose another "T."

Thanks,
Scott

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hi Scott. You shouldn't disturb the burrow. Leave your vagans be. You can try to put another cricket in the enclosure in one week and leave it for the night to see what happens. If the burrow is closed, your T doesn't risk anything. Take it off the enclosure next morning if it wasn't eaten. Your T might be preparing a molt, or simply being settling down in its new home.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Tarantulas can go a fair amount of time without food. Some species will fast for months on end with no ill effect. Although your species isn't really known to pull that stunt - there are times when they will not eat. Often that will be because they are preparing to moult, but sometimes they just aren't interested in eating. They will often refuse food when they have been recently rehoused as well and are still settling in.
Because your little vagans is a sub adult male, it might be best to follow a feeding pattern that slows down his growth instead of accelerating it. I would offer food once a week and remove it if he doesn't take it. As long has his abdomen looks healthy and round, and he has access to water at all times, he will do fine. You don't want to speed up his moulting because he is going to live less time than a female would. Once he becomes mature, he only has a short time left.

Last edited:

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
Sounds good. I put a cricket in last night and immediately it ran into the burrow and never came out so I assume Rudy ate it or just killed it. I won't disturb the burrow. I will keep you all posted how things are going. Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it very much.

Scott

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I would not try to offer it crickets anymore until it emerges from its burrow. When your tarantula is molting, it is extremely susceptible to being hurt, eaten, or disturbed by crickets which could potentially lead to death.

Good luck!

Latest posts