• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommended Isopods/springtails?

Poki mon

I'm looking to introduce some cleaning crews to my larger enclosures. When I feed my pokis I usually toss 3 crickets in at a time. I'm sure some get lost or bury themselves from time to time. Not only that, but my T's drop their boluses in their hides. My P Irmimia is a slob, and it would be nice to keep her cage clean too when I place her in her permanent enclosure.

So, I think isopods or springtails would help. Can anyone recommend isopods that have worked well for them? Or springtails? I'm open to both. I'm just trying to understand what variety would be the best, and how many should I put in a 12x12x18 and 2 8x8x12 enclosures.

Thanks for your help

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use two species, but Porcellio scaber (Common rough,) is probably the easiest to care for, with no need to worry about humidity or temperature.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Isopods generally don't harm T's correct?

Yes, providing you monitor the number of isopods & stop them from becoming too numerous & it is also worth adding some food for them.

There is folk lore that suggests that isopods can eat your T. But absolutely no evidence to support it ever having happened. So it makes good sense not to allow your isopods get too numerous & to add an easy source of food for them. Just to be 100% sure.

The fact to remember is that isopods are a clean up crew. They are there to eat dead crickets etc & a dead T, is an etc. So people who talk about isopods eating a dead T are saying ispods did what they were there for.

Poki mon

Yes, providing you monitor the number of isopods & stop them from becoming too numerous & it is also worth adding some food for them.

There is folk lore that suggests that isopods can eat your T. But absolutely no evidence to support it ever having happened. So it makes good sense not to allow your isopods get too numerous & to add an easy source of food for them. Just to be 100% sure.

The fact to remember is that isopods are a clean up crew. They are there to eat dead crickets etc & a dead T, is an etc. So people who talk about isopods eating a dead T are saying ispods did what they were there for.
That makes sense. Thanks

Latest posts