• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick question on T.Gigas!!

kaz

3 Year Member
so rehoused my T about a month a go then it molted straight after. However since moving him/her iv seen nothing of it. Thought it may start getting hungry or venturing out. Heard they are a good display species!! So basically can this be a typical behaviour for them or is it likely still settling in!!

here's it's setup:

WP_20151217_006.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to their new surroundings. My Avic took about a month or so before she started doing stuff after i rehoused her. Just give it some time. :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine became really secretive when I had replaced the old cork bark with a hollow tree (Aquarium decor). It molted inside, ate inside, never really came out. Because it was getting too small for its hole I rehoused it into the same tank you've got. It took over 3 days before it eventually came out of its old tree stump. Now it usually sits behind the barks and plants during the day, but my husband has been able to take a few shots of it climbing on the bark and hanging around the water bowl. I occasionally catch it near its water dish in the morning, but it usually crawls back into its hiding place. I think they're just more out and about when it's dark and quiet.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine has begun hiding more too. It settled quite quickly after I rehoused it but recently it has been hiding under the cork bark although it did moult a few days ago and has been out a bit more but not enough to get a photo. I'm hoping it will continue coming out but we shall see.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so rehoused my T about a month a go then it molted straight after. However since moving him/her iv seen nothing of it. Thought it may start getting hungry or venturing out. Heard they are a good display species!! So basically can this be a typical behaviour for them or is it likely still settling in!!

here's it's setup:

View attachment 12729
I can depend on the individual. Just because a species is known for being a good display species doesn't mean all of them are going to be.

kaz

3 Year Member
I can depend on the individual. Just because a species is known for being a good display species doesn't mean all of them are going to be.

thanks everyone and yeah I was aware of this, was more an ask and people can give me an opinion on their experience with this species like everyone else has done so thanks again. I did read somewhere you posted Enn that you said yours went into hiding. Its a bummer haven't seen its lovely new colours since its last molt, but ohwell

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I did read somewhere you posted Enn that you said yours went into hiding. Its a bummer haven't seen its lovely new colours since its last molt, but ohwell

Yes, mine went into hiding a couple of weeks back but it looks as though it may have been premoult. It moulted a few days ago and it has been out a bit today, in fact it's out now as I fed it tonight and it was obviously hungry, grabbing 2 crickets at once. It's the first time I've seen it all since the moult and it hasn't half grown , about 2-2.5" now

kaz

3 Year Member
That's cool. Still havnt fed mine since it molted. Thought id wait like I do with my G.pulchra who comes out when she's hungry, but think I may have to shuv a cricket in soonish since its been at least 3 weeks since it molted.

Latest posts