• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about age & size

Meludox

3 Year Member
I have a male Curlyhair sling that I ordered from the internet recently. He is about an inch and a half and does not yet have adult colors. I was told by who hatched him that was born in 2013, so he's roughly two years old. How can that be? Two years old and not even a juvie yet. I'm not quite understanding and it worries me because male T's usually only live around 5 years.
Edit: The breeder also did not give me a molt history when asked.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If its 1 1/2 inches after 2 years, its a female, possibly just not power fed or kept over 75-80 degrees. Brachys are slow growers, especially females. I have a female A geniculata that has to be at least a year and a half old, same size as your Brachy, maybe a little bigger, but not much. She's kept at 75 degrees, and not power fed. She's just started kind of a growth spurt because I feed her more often now. Yours will do the same if you powerfeed her, and keep her at 80. Hope this sets you at ease:)

Last edited:

Meludox

3 Year Member
Oh boy. Are you certain? I have been powerfeeding him/her and I'm hoping he/she will molt soon so I can check it out myself.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes. I wasn't doubting you, I'm just used to hearing "You cannot tell a T's sex without a molt" yada, yada. This is actually quite a pleasant surprise!
No-no, I was just reaffirming it to myself really. I can't be positive, but I'm 95% sure it's female, from what you've said. Could you post a pic of the spider when you get a chance?

Meludox

3 Year Member
show off.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If that spider is two years old, I'd bet money it's female. My Grammastola and Brachy males where much bigger and more developed at 2 years old. They weren't really power fed, and I keep mine at 75 degrees. Yeah, I say female. She even looks female :) I'm still guessing, without a molt. It's the only way to be 100% sure, and I've been wrong before ;) Still say female though.:)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My b. smithi that is fast growing turned out male so that's 1 more sample to your equation. :D

Meludox

3 Year Member
Cool cool. Normally I wouldn't care much but I just can't see Jamie (the breeder) messing up sexing like that. Or selling the T until she was positive.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool cool. Normally I wouldn't care much but I just can't see Jamie (the breeder) messing up sexing like that. Or selling the T until she was positive.

Smaller tarantulas are harder to sex, therefore they are often sold as unsexed. Unsexed tarantulas of course go for cheaper. A breeder isn't going to wait until they have sexed every single sling from every single sac from every single species before they sell them. If they did this, they wouldn't be very successful with their business.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Smaller tarantulas are harder to sex, therefore they are often sold as unsexed. Unsexed tarantulas of course go for cheaper. A breeder isn't going to wait until they have sexed every single sling from every single sac from every single species before they sell them. If they did this, they wouldn't be very successful with their business.
It's why I like to buy the smaller unsexed ones. Kind of like a new parent not wanting to see if their child is a boy or girl. :)

Meludox

3 Year Member
I know that, but I bought the spider as a sexed male.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamies tarantulas? if it's the same listing I'm looking at they're a suspect male. I was going to order that one but she didn't have any Geniculata my son wanted.

micheldied

3 Year Member
It's very possible with slow growing species. I received a male G. rosea that was almost 2 years old and was only 1.5 inches.