• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pushing my luck a little, but can anyone help?

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I know my T is probably way way WAY too young, and I am more than likely pushing my luck in hoping to sex his moult, but could anyone more experienced than me take a look and venture a guess as to what the sex may be?
AdobePhotoshopExpress_868d53e142414700bacdf02b2fe669d2.jpg
:):T:

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm dismal at this, what size is the T hun, that's the important part. Try to get a closer shot of just the abdomen area between the upper booklungs. (The white patches)

NatashaG

3 Year Member
WP_20160703_16_24_59_Pro.jpg
This is about as close as I can get. There does seem to be a small flap-like-thing there to me, or is that wishful thinking. I am totally clueless with this one. This is wet, it has been soaking in water for a little while.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am equally as useless but I can say with 100% confidence you have a 50% chance of this being female....ha ha.
I do suspect female though. @Casey K. helped me yesterday so I have tagged her as she is usually pretty good at this kinda thing. Hopefully she can help when she sees the post and measurements etc. Good luck :)

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I am equally as useless but I can say with 100% confidence you have a 50% chance of this being female....ha ha.
I do suspect female though. @Casey K. helped me yesterday so I have tagged her as she is usually pretty good at this kinda thing. Hopefully she can help when she sees the post and measurements etc. Good luck :)
I like your thinking :p:D But I am in the exact same situation, I have no idea, it's just that little bit of a flap that is making me question it. I had always thought of him as a male, refer to him as such and named him after the Hungarian word for 'King', so I have no problems with him being a boy (and when I went to sex him I fully expected there to be nothing there). When the abdomen is dried out properly I will get another photo, and hopefully your friend can help :):T:

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I cannot see any spermatheca on your last picture, which would mean male. But... I really don't know at what size are the spermathecae visible and fully formed. I asked one breeder friend, and he told me it all depends on the spp. As for myself, I've not been able to spot a spermatheca on all my youngest Ts, then I thought they were all males... Which turned out to be false: later on, I saw that the spermatheca began to be visible with my magnifying glass.

All this to say: if someone could chime in and give us some insight on this topic (and answer NatashaG's question of course!), it would be very helpful. @Casey K. for instance...

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I cannot see any spermatheca on your last picture, which would mean male. But... I really don't know at what size are the spermathecae visible and fully formed. I asked one breeder friend, and he told me it all depends on the spp. As for myself, I've not been able to spot a spermatheca on all my youngest Ts, then I thought they were all males... Which turned out to be false: later on, I saw that the spermatheca began to be visible with my magnifying glass.

All this to say: if someone could chime in and give us some insight on this topic (and answer NatashaG's question of course!), it would be very helpful. @Casey K. for instance...
it would be nice if it was a female, but i honestly believe it is a male. it just that little fold (which catches under a needle) that made me think otherwise. would be great to find out though!! :)

Telson

3 Year Member
Even the males have a fold there, mostly. It can trick you :p The answer is: It's not developed enough to say, unless you open the top part of the flap a bit, and then you MAY be able to see spermathecae beginning to develop. It's too small for any obvious answer, sorry. My guess would be male, it looks like there's an arch forming..but I'm guessing. Some people can sex them at two inches. Like the fella that sold me a female gbb that molted into a male.

-.-

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I had tagged Casey too. Probably not been on line yet as she is usually really good at this and helping everyone. Let's all tag her so she has no choice.....lol

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Even the males have a fold there, mostly. It can trick you :p The answer is: It's not developed enough to say, unless you open the top part of the flap a bit, and then you MAY be able to see spermathecae beginning to develop. It's too small for any obvious answer, sorry. My guess would be male, it looks like there's an arch forming..but I'm guessing. Some people can sex them at two inches. Like the fella that sold me a female gbb that molted into a male.

-.-
That's why I named the thread what I did, I knew more than likely that sexing him would be impossible :). I really wouldn't know what to be looking for to cut the skeleton open, and I was just hoping that someone with a more experienced eye would see something I can't. I bought him from an online shop, selling them as un-sexed juveniles, and of course you get the old wives tale of majority being male but being able to bump the price up if you say you don't know what they are...So i know there is a good chance it's a boy. It's why I just have resigned myself to it. I had looked into the male and female moults online and had never seen a male one looking like that, but this is my first T and I am such a newbie at this sort of thing. Sorry to hear of your misfortune with being sold a T like that, makes you wonder if people say that just to get the cash...

Last edited:

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I had tagged Casey too. Probably not been on line yet as she is usually really good at this and helping everyone. Let's all tag her so she has no choice.....lol
Lets hope this Casey doesn't hate me now :p but any help is appreciated!:T:

Thistles

3 Year Member
Looks like a king. :) He's a boy.

Btw, that bat signal didn't give me an alert. I wonder if something is up with it. That might be why Casey hasn't replied yet. I just walked into the thread on my own and saw that Kymura had tagged me.

Last edited:

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Looks like a king. :) He's a boy.

Btw, that bat signal didn't give me an alert. I wonder if something is up with it. That might be why Casey hasn't replied yet. I just walked into the thread on my own and saw that Kymura had tagged me.
I had a feeling he was. And I really don't mind it :) He is a lovely little thing as he is and I wouldn't want to change a thing about him.
Also, my notifications have been playing up a bit, and my email ones just don't happen at all. Wonder if they will fix this?
Thanks for the help :D:T: It really means a lot, especially to someone like me, who is new to all this. I love this community :)

Latest posts